Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 4 posts ] Average score:  
 The Cello
N/A

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:36 pm
       Playing the cello started out as a joke. I saw the large instrument, and joked to my sister, "I'm going to play THAT in the band!"
     Little did I know, that joke would become the foundation for me to play the cello.
      As time went on, I slowly realized the pluses of playing the cello: a) It was an instrument in the band, and my mom required us to play an instrument in the band, b) It made a REALLY cool sound, c) There was only one other cello in the band already, d) It seemed very interesting.
      I eventually decided to get one, so I got a 1/2 size. (I was in 3rd grade) I started playing the cello in the school band, and slowly began to get better at it. I thought that it was OK at the time, and was beginning to regret my decision- because, for a wimpy 3rd grader, the thing was huge and kinda heavy. Even though the cello is hollow, I repeat- I WAS A WIMPY 3RD GRADER. Also, my cello teacher filled the back of the cello case with books all of the time.
       Then, I moved. I mean, literally- I moved across the state, like moving houses and schools, etc??? I was really lonely that 1st year, and the cello and piano were all I had left of my old home and school, so I continued to play them.
        But 5th and 6th grade were like the dark age for my cello. I began to DESPISE the cello, and dreaded my lessons. I eventually managed to convince my mom to let me only have piano lessons for a year, and that's how I spent my 5th grade. 6th grade, my mom made me continue cello. I constantly complained about it (sometimes even to my teacher) and told my mom that I had to drop cello. I was a 3/4 size, and was getting closer to full size- my mom said that I would get a full size in 7th or 8th grade.
           My mom signed me up for an orchestra on the weekends as well, and that's when I REALLY started hating cello. I told my mom that I hated it every week, and began to not practice, and to get reprimanded at my lessons. My talent got rusty during those two years, and I never realized how my orchestra would really turn this whole thing around.
          7th grade, so far, is the Golden Age for my Cello. I've actually begun to like the cello even more than the piano, but I continue the piano just because it's nice to play every once in a while. I actually like my orchestra even more than my lessons, and find myself looking forward to it instead of dreading it. I like the challenge it gives me, and the sound that the orchestra makes when we play together. There's just something about it that makes my heart sing along with the music, and I find that many chords or slurs that are very hard for others to play, I can play with ease when we're playing together.
          My lessons are, unfortunately, going to be put on hold for a while- my cello and piano teacher is moving, and I might end up not being able to continue my lessons with her after all. She's moving to a place nearly an hour away from my house, and we wouldn't be able to drive there for lessons every week. We're hoping that she can get a studio closer by to have lessons in, and she says that might be possible. I hope so, because that would be a nice thing to have- to continue my lessons.
     In a way, though, this may open up a new door- perhaps I could tell my mom that I want to cancel piano and keep doing cello with my teacher? And then I could maybe have a piano lesson every other week with her, and just go over a few quick things- learn a few things, have her give me a new song, etc- and just let piano go by as a secondary instrument. I could eventually become a professional cellist- along with being an author, of course- and eventually host an orchestra of my own! I could write cello music, and maybe even become another Mozart- except for cello, LOL. I mean, I still want to become another J.K. Rowling- I just want to have this cello thing on the side, as a backup thing, as a source of income while I write my novels.
       Hopefully I've managed to convince at least some of you to take up an instrument- hopefully cello- and change the world with your music. I just have one warning- when you get to highschool and you tell people that you play the cello, don't let them suck you into playing the baritone. It's a really heavy and big instrument that you have to hold in the air, and the only thing that's similar to the cello with it is the notes. DON'T PLAY IT.
      I hope you guys can change with world with your music!!! (and your writing, of course. :smileytongue:)
                Everyone deserves to cry.
               WE MISS YOU, CRAZYNACHOS!
              "80% of girls at least age 12 have a boyfriend. If you are part of the 20% that doesn't have a boyfriend at least age 12, copy and paste this to your sign-off."
                 Winner of NaNo 2010!!
I miss my halloween candy!!!!   
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')
               -Teresa

Re: The Cello
frequent_contributor

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:48 am
Haha, cute ending. :D
I've played like a billion different instruments through the years (violin, recorder, percussion, piano, etc,etc, etc.), but the only one I've ever enjoyed very much is the acoustic guitar, which I finally convinced myself to get up the nerve to start with over the summer. I'm really bad at it, but I can play some easier chords and stuff, so it's fun.

Good luck with cello! :)

~Cavy

Happy New Year!! :D

regular_contributor

Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:05 pm
I LOVE the sounds a cello makes.
It's sad and mournful...it's just so darn pretty.  Unfortunately, the only musical talent I have is my voice, and I think that's starting to fade.  :smileysad:
So, I think I'll just stick to listening to music.:smileyvery-happy:

Good luck with your cello (and don't break it again!)!

~Tatiana~

frequent_contributor

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:21 pm
Cello is one of my passions, seriously. I love it. Orchestra is amazing. Your story sounds vaguely like mine, except the moving part. And the band. You wouldn't believe how many times I've tried to quit, but after 7th grade I was stuck... captured... and now I adore cello so much.
Music is love in search of a Word.
Kira

[ 4 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team