General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome everyone! My name is Brian and I'm moderating the boards. Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
- Please read my FAQ’s post.
- If you still have a question, feel free to ask me here.

I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place to get excited about HP!
   [ 6 posts ] Average score:  

Are you excited with the new play coming out?
Yes!!! 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
I'm neutral about it. 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
No. I wish Harry Potter had ended with Deathly Hallows. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (comment!) 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8
 The Cursed Child!
regular_contributor

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:54 pm

Hey guys!

Have you heard about the "Official Sequel to the Deathly Hallows", upcoming play called Harry Potter and the Cursed Child? Because i'm getting kinda hyped here.

Ok so most (all?) of us are probably not going to watch it, because it's only going to play in the UK and had limited tickets from what I heard anyway buuuut you guys!!! We're getting an offical sequel! And it's so long for a regular play that it's split into two parts! AND releases on the same year that the first Fantastic Beasts movie comes out! :D :D :D

I mean after all these years of the series being officially over they're finally coming back, and it's not like it's the long-awaited sequels/prequels, it's just that... the Potter universe is expanding, and new stories are being told. The Cursed Child wasn't even written exclusively by J. K. Rowling! Although i understand why some fans might be viewing the new works negatively, I like how Harry Potter is becoming a bigger thing than just, you know, the books and the movies based on them! It's no longer the creation of just one woman, and it's using different forms of art and storytelling to narrate the new stories, expanding not only the wizarding world, but the means of us Muggles to tell magical stories with our non-magical means :P So even if we end up not really liking the new stories as much as the books, what gives? It's not like the originals are going to run. If anything, they set the bar for all future and upcoming works, which have to live up to/surpass them. 

All in all, I think that it's very exciting to be seeing these changes! What do you guys think?

On the story of the Cursed Child, here's the Official Summary I found!:

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

Re: The Cursed Child!
regular_contributor

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:20 pm

!!!!!!!Gaiz it's also gonna be a book!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who's excited I'M EXCITED!!!

It's coming out on July 31st- Harry's birthday, of course! XD

new

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:27 am

Hi Anna! *waves* (by the way, I only just saw that you'd restarted Missing Death by Inches and it made me happy. :grin: )

Anywaaaay, I'm pretty excited for Cursed Child! There is a part of me that cannot imagine how anything can live up to the magic of the books, which is the same part of me that kind of doesn't actually want to see Harry all grown up and changed. But then there is also a different part of me that just wants to jump up and down and start squealing with joy at the mere idea of more Harry Potter. :grin: I liked what you said about how it shows how Harry Potter's expanding, and that nothing - not even if these expansions failed - can diminish the originals. Also, I find the summary delightfully ambigious and am now just itching to find out more!!

~Songbird49 :razz:

regular_contributor

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:56 pm

@songbird49: Hey! (My dearest child, your love for the story gives me life. Thank u.)

I can deeply relate to your mixed feelings! I've decided to be "positively prejudiced" towards the new play, because I'm super happy that HP is expanding, etc, but doubt still showers me sometimes. "Is it going to be as good as the books?" "Is it going to be good at all?" "Will the HP universe be more loved and gain a new/renewed audience, or is it going to stain the name of the series?" "DO THEY EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING?" but haha I guess we'll just have to have faith for now!

Yesss, I agree that the summary sure makes it sound very interesting! :P I'm intrigued... it seems like it's going to be a fun story, even with comparsion to the originals put aside... Like yes, I am worried that it might not live up to the books in story quality, but at the same time, we can't judge without knowing. And saying stuff like "nothing can ever live up to the originals so I'll pass" (which I have considered hehe :P) is kinda a bad mindset to have at all sooo... WE'LL SEE! :D

new

Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:36 pm

I do kinda wish that it had ended with Deathly Hallows but I'm mostly excited!!!

new

Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:00 pm

So im exited for the cursed child but really think they should have ended it at Deathly Hallows. They are also making movies on the side of the orginal HP movies which is too much. I am a dear HP fan I think they are doing wayyyyy to much its gonna be book after book movie after movie. But i really want to read the cursed child and I want to see the fantastic beasts and where to find them. That actally looks intresting! I really dont want to see the play they are most likely too make a movie out of it. I do not want to go to UK and see a play im gonna see a movie to the same thing.

[ 6 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team