Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 7 posts ] Average score:  
 The Hummingbird

Thu May 15, 2008 6:32 pm
 I never ever got to meet my grandmother. Never. I had only heard stories. The stories were wonderful descriptions of a lady I'd love to meet. She sang, she danced, and acted, and wrote- all the things I love to do. For some strange reason I feel a strong connection with my grandmother, even though I have never met her. Never. I heard she was a sweet lady who's smile infected all those who she sent one at. My father had told me stories of how she wished she was a hummingbird. She said she would've loved to be so small and so fast, and sing so sweetly, he said her favorite part was getting to eat sugar whenever she pleased. I giggled at that.
 But as I grew older, things grew worse. By the time I was seven, my parents fought endlessly. I would press my ear against the wall of their bedroom door. Listening. Listening to all the things they yelled about.
 Sunny days are supposed to be happy. But this one was not my best. I woke up to the sound of a door slamming. The slammed door echoed throughout the entire house. It just occured in my head. Divorce. I cried. Tears dripped down my young face. I pressed my face against my pillow, hoping for comfort. No luck. I cried through the night. I begged my mother. Please don't do it. I cried more. Nothing could ever make me happy again. I shall never smile or laugh again. I shall sit in my room. I shall never bear a happy expression ever again. Never.
 I go over my dad's house on the weekends. For one day. One day. I rang the doorbell to his house, overnight bag in hand. He paced down the stairs and smiled as he opened the door. My father hugged me. I felt his embrace as the door slowly closed behind me. But suddenly his hold lightened as he stared out the door. I quickly spin around to gaze at what he had his eyes fixed on. Thats when I saw the graceful creature hovering in the bush. My mouth dropped and eyes widdened. Hope was flying right there in front of me. Hope. The hummingbird hovered there for a moment, it seemed to take a look at me and my father. A hummingbird. Hope. Faith. My grandmother.
 At that instant, I knew everything was going to be alright. Through all the sad feelings I felt, through all the tears that streamed down my face, I knew there was a last bit of happiness left inside of me. For I knew. I just knew I had a guardian angel, always watching. Mine is a little hummingbird named Grammy.

Hoped you liked it! :) I hope I posted this in the right section.
~TOWNY
"Hey moon, please forget to go down. Hey moon, please don't go down."

Re: The Hummingbird
frequent_contributor

Fri May 16, 2008 9:56 pm
That's so inspiring! You're a great writer...! :)
_cavyheart_

Wed May 21, 2008 3:29 pm
Thanks ^.^

~TOWNY

regular_contributor

Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:47 pm
That's really good! I'm the same way with my grandma who died long before I was born...I have all these things in common with her so that's kind of like my "hummingbird" I go to her when I need help...or there's no one...I really liked reading this...it was well-written and  I could eassily related to it!

frequent_vsitor

Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:12 pm
Wow. Is this true? Because I can relate to it. My parents are divorced. That isn't too personal, is it? Cuz the scariest thing that happened was one of the scariest things ever. :( My dad kinda threw the home phone on the ground, and it shattered right in front of me. If this is real, plz let me know.
Tafeta
It doesn't make sense to kill our planet when we're the ones who need it

regular_contributor

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:17 pm
This story really made me feel amazing. My parents fight a lot, and this gave me hope for my whole life, and the future.

contributor

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:39 pm
Amazingly beautiful :)

[ 7 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team