Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 2 posts ] Average score:  
 The Unknown(book1)~Chapter 2

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:31 pm
Name:Amanda-Zoe
Dad started building the house. "Mom, what's THAT building?"I asked. "That?"Mom said about the small house. "That's the school". "The school?"I asked. "How many grades?" "Thirteen"Mom said. I sat down next to Jamie-Kelly, Emma-Rose, and Mary-Jean. Then a bell rang. "School is starting now"Mom said. We scurried to the schoolhouse and stepped in. I sat at a table with Jamie-Kelly and two boys. One was cute. I smiled. "Hi"he said."I'm Daniel. Who are you?" "I'm Amanda-Zoe"I said. Daniel grinned. "Nice name"he said. "What grade?"I asked."I'm going into 7th". "Me too"Daniel said. The teacher walked in. "Hello, everyone"she said. "I'm Ms.Cal". Everyone groaned. "Meet my daughter, Nellie". A girl with blonde, curly, long hair walked up. She smiled meanly.
                                                     * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
After school, I found out the adults had planned a dance called"The New Land". I wanted to ask Daniel, but Nellie was walking to the park with him. I decided to follow. I snuck behind them and at the park, I climbed up a tree near the bench they sat on. "So, Daniel"she said. "I wanted to ask you if you wanted to go to the dance". "Maybe"Danielle said. I felt so shocked I almost climbed down the tree to hit Nellie. But I didn't. After Nellie left, I climbed down slowly. I touched the ground and said"Hi"to Daniel. "Hi Amanda-Zoe"he said. "Call me Zoe or Amanda"I said. "Anyway"he said. "Amanda, will you...go with me to pick up my sheep tomorrow?" "Sure"I said, disaponted. "Tomorrow"Daniel said. "Remember". I nodded and ran home.
                                                       * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Dad, Mom, me, Emma-Rose, Jamie-Kelly, and Mary-Jean sat around the fire as Mom cooked the stew in the pot. "Who are you going with?"Jamie-Kelly asked me. "No one yet"I said. "What about Daniel?"Mary-Jean asked. "He asked me to help him pick up his sheep from the loading dock"I said. 'Aww, poor baby"Emma-Rose teased. "Do YOU have a date?"I asked. Emma-Rose just studdered.

Re: The Unknown(book1)~Chapter 2
frequent_vsitor

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:09 pm
Ah, I see a love interest with Daniel. I like that. And I see rivalry with Nellie. Also good. There is one problem. Because you don't separate the dialogue from the story, the page is a little confusing and stutters a bit. And, like I said in my previous post, you need some more description. For instance, what's so attractive about Daniel? What I love most about this chapter is the last lines:
     "Aww, poor baby," Emma-Rose teased.
     "Do YOU have a date?" I asked.
     Emma-Rose just stuttered. You should change this sentence to something like "Emma-Rose just turned away, blushing." Or something like that, because stutter means to speak with short stops. I loved the rest, though.

[ 2 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team