Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 1 post ] Average score:  
 The Wandering of Pavel Hillrover
regular_contributor

Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:55 am

The Wanderings Of Pavel Hillrover

These are the stories of Pavel Hillrover, the legendary kender. Pavel and his magic pen have captivated many bards through the ages. These stories were found inscribed on a sheet of paper, nearby them a dove-feather pen. Strangely, the pen had dried ink on the tip, yet showed no sign of wear beyond the ink. These are the stories, as they were found. Not a word has been altered. Perhaps these are just another part of the mystery surrounding Pavel Hillrover.

The Wizard’s Mistake

Arthur, the young white mage, went to his spell book.

“Let me see. Order, no farther in. Splash… Tune… Villa… Here’s the page. Weak, wealth, weapon, there it is. Use of… no. Destruction of… no. Ah, creation of. Page 113.” The young wizard turned to the correct page.

“16 newt eyes. Well, I’ve got that.” He added the newt eyes.

“27 drops of eagle blood. That too.” He added the eagle blood. Quetzal, his eagle familiar, squawked. “Now, now Quetzal. No need to worry. Now, 199 dove feathers. Well, I just need to get some more.” He said, emptying the container of dove feathers. (Incidentally, the container had exactly 200 dove feathers.) After Quetzal flew out the window to get the dove feathers, Arthur added exactly 199 dove feathers and used the one left over for a pen. “Now, just one more ingredient. A gallon of tomato juice! Where am I supposed to get a gallon of tomato juice? Master Fredrick!” Master Fredrick, also a white mage, the tutor of the young wizard, hustled into the room at the greatest speed he could considering his great age and girth. “What is it Arthur?” He asked with a sigh.

“Where am I supposed to get a gallon of tomato juice?”

“I have five. There’s a gaggle of kender coming (If gaggle is the correct word), and tomato juice can hide a certain… potion of my own making to make them less rambunctious.”

“Can I have a gallon?”

“What do you need tomato juice for?”

“I want to make this sword” he gestured to a sword on his desk “Into a great weapon! The Sword Of Arthur!”

“What about the Sword Of Magic? Or the Sword Of White?”

“No, the Sword Of The Silver Moon!”

“Very good name Arthur, but can you make the sword?”

“If you give me the tomato juice.”

“All right, I’ll give you the tomato juice.” Master Fredrick disappeared for a moment, and then reappeared, directing the grumpy maid in bringing the gallon of tomato juice in a barrel.

“Here Arthur, here’s your juice. And if those kender ruin the keep, you’re going to be the one to fix it!”

“Don’t worry Uncle. Those kender won’t bother you.”

“Don’t call me uncle you impetuous youth.”

“All right Master Fredrick.” Master Fredrick and the grumpy maid left. Arthur poured the gallon of tomato juice into the cauldron, and then lit the fire. He stirred it until it started to bubble, then grabbed the sword to dip in it. Unfortunately, Quetzal arrived just at that moment, dropping all the dove feathers. Arthur was blinded and dropped the sword. In the confusion, the feather he was using for a pen—and only that—fell into the cauldron. When Arthur straightened up, he found the cauldron empty except for the pen. He picked it up, and gripped the old rusty sword. He then ran down the steps to show Master Fredrick what had happened.

“Master Fredrick!” Arthur exclaimed as he made it down to the kitchen.

“What is it Arthur?” Master Fredrick asked, exasperated, while stirring the soup.

“Look what happened! The pen fell into the potion instead of the sword!”

“Well, well, well. The pen is mightier than the sword.”

“This is no time for jokes! What do I do?”

“Well, can you make it do anything?” Arthur waved it around.

“No.”

“Then you need a hero. Have a contest for the Solamnics. See how well rounded they are. Have the traditional stuff first, you know, jousts and that sort of stuff. Then have a poetry contest. Should be easy to make them try a pen in a poetry contest. Tell them that they will win the weapon Of The Silver Moon. Just don’t tell them it’s the Pen Of The Silver Moon.”

“They won’t come for poetry.”

“That’s why you get them thirsty first. Give them a poetry-lover potion. Just for a little. Oh dear, I think the kender are knocking.” Arthur went up to his room to get the message ready for the tournament. He left the pen on the table. Pavel Hillrover noticed the pen. Being a kender, he picked it up. Then one of the other kender grabbed Pavel’s soup. Pavel, of course, knocked the other kender on the head with what he had in his hand, which happened to be the pen. The other kender turned into a sheet of paper. Pavel hit the sheet of paper with the pen. It turned back into a kender. Pavel put the pen into his pocket and concentrated on his soup. Arthur never saw his pen again, and the tournament was never held. However, they did hear rumors of a kender turning people into sheets of paper with a pen.

But those were only rumors.

Notes on ‘The Wizard’s Mistake’

This is the introduction to Pavel Hillrover, the kender of legend. Pavel’s main attractions come not through his comedy, though that is quite one of them. Pavel’s main attraction is how real he is. When the bards tell of Pavel Hillrover, the kender with the Pen Of The Silver Moon, if anyone asks ‘But how did he get the pen in the first place?’ or, ‘Who’s Pavel Hillrover?’ they tell this tale. Nobody knows whether or not Pavel was an actual kender, or if the Pen ever was. It’s possible that the legendary kender is just that, a legend. However, it’s equally possible that all of these things actually happened. Perhaps Pavel told his tale one night in an inn, and some bard decided to tell Pavel’s story as his own. Perhaps Pavel made up the Pen, or perhaps the bard made up Pavel, but the Pen was real. Perhaps this riddle will never have an answer.

[ 1 post ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team