Fan Fiction

Announcements

Welcome everyone! My name is Brian and I'm moderating the boards. Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
- Please read my FAQ’s post.
- If you still have a question, feel free to ask me here.

I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place to get excited about HP!
   [ 21 posts ] Average score:  
 The Writer's Guide to making a perfect songfiction
frequent_vsitor

Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:28 pm
1. USE A SONG YOU THINK FITS A CHARACTER/CHARACTERS
It doesn't have to be the most popular or new song, if you think it fits, you think it fits and other readers should just enjoy reading it. If they don't know the song, too bad. The best songfic I ever read was to a song I never heard of.

2. MAKE SURE THE LYRICS ARE RIGHT
Nothing could be more embarrassing then someone correcting you (even though it is kind of rude for a reader to correct you) But don't try to just listen to a song and write the words. Use a website with official lyrics to the song you're looking for. Or if you have the song on a CD, most CDs come with a lyric book.

3. MAKE SURE ALL THE WORDS FIT THE STORYLINE/CHARCTERS
It's waste of your (and the readers) time if only some verses or only the chorus fit the story. And don't just make a random event and then put lyrics in. Make what happens before/after the lyrics fit the lyrics coming up/you just wrote. Say you're using "Love Story" by Taylor Swift. And you put the lyrics "He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring (and so on)" make the next paragraph about someone proposing to another character.

4. DON'T SPLIT SONGFICS INTO PARTS
Readers probably won't remember the lyrics you left off with. And probably won't feel like reading the whole thing over. The story might be long, but it will be less work for everyone in the long run.

5. PUT LYRICS IN CAPITALS/BOLD
It will be much easier for the reader to understand. And don't use too many lyrics at one time just because you dont have a good idea for the next verse.

6. PUT 3 OR MORE PARAGRAPHS IN BETWEEN LYRICS
It is very boring if you do lyric, paragraph, more lyrics, and so on. If you do that because you are bored with the story and want to get it over with (because you promised the readers a story) take a break and post that (ex.) "The Harry and Ginny Songfic to "Mine" by Taylor Swift won't be posted as soon as I thought." or etc. If you are bored with the idea entirely, ask another writer (that seems interested) if they would like to post it.

7. DON'T COPY OTHER PEOPLE'S IDEAS/SONGS WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION
It is rude and inconsiderate. If someone wrote a Hermione/Ron fanfic to a song, don't use the same song and make it Harry/Ginny. It is only okay if you have the original writer's permission.

FEEL FREE TO ADD MORE IDEAS STARTING AT #8! I APPRECIATE ANY COMMENTS.

Re: The Writer's Guide to making a perfect songfiction
contributor

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:29 pm
Good ideas!! I'll make sure to use them in my next songfiction. ;)

regular_contributor

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:52 pm
Great guide! I will probably write a songfic some time!

From your Random, Wizard Fan, Underlander, Daughter of Zeus, Song Writer, Ninja Skilled, Weather Monger, Ravenhuffledor, Musical Friend Person Thing,

••Skyelark Moon••

?Peace? ?Love? ?Music?

frequent_vsitor

Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:42 pm
I think "You Belong With Me" by Taylor Swift fits Ron and Hermione in the sixth book and the fourth book. You know, how Hermione makes Ron jealous and want to be with her when she goes out with McLaggen, and Ron makes Hermione jealous by going out with Lavender. And also in the fourth book, when Ron misses out on the chance to ask Hermione to the Yule Ball. Does the song have to be from the whole series? And, what exactly are songfics and how do you make them?

regular_contributor

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:58 am
Very excellent tips!! They'll definitely come in handy next time I write one (hopefully soon, too) :)
~Lauren

frequent_contributor

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:59 am
Those are good tips! I might just write a song fic!

contributor

Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:57 am
Awesome!! Im gonna use this; Im writing a songfic (it's not for Harry Potter though...)

~FOR NARNIA!~

“He said he knows the faun”

“He’s a beaver! He shouldn’t be saying anything!”

“If he tells us to hurry one more time, I’m gonna turn him into a big, fluffy hat”

“Whoa, horsie”

“My name is Phillip.”

“Oh…sorry”

frequent_contributor

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:50 pm

_GryffindorWolf_ wrote:
Awesome!! Im gonna use this; Im writing a songfic (it's not for Harry Potter though...)

~FOR NARNIA!~

“He said he knows the faun”

“He’s a beaver! He shouldn’t be saying anything!”

“If he tells us to hurry one more time, I’m gonna turn him into a big, fluffy hat”

“Whoa, horsie”

“My name is Phillip.”

“Oh…sorry”

I LOVE THAT QUOTE!!!

Also, I'm trying to write a THG songfic. For my THG OC's.

visitor

Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:08 pm
Personally I think that the perfect song for Ron and Hermione(or mostly for Ron) is The One That Got Away by Katy Perry. It explains the dramas of this small town girl that let a boy she was in a relationship with.. well... get away!  I think it explains the love between them!

frequent_vsitor

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:08 pm
@bastcat40 I totally agree with you on that one! I love that song and I'm trying to think of a good songfic to do. I haven't done one in forever:)

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Hold On by Take That fits Ron / Hermione great -- they love each other, but they hate each other in a friendly way, if you get it.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:52 am

Batcast40 -- Ron does not have a Mustang .__.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:08 am
I really want to do a Beatles song songfic. I would love to do a Beatles songfic for Snape and Lily, but the only Beatles song that really fit is really depressing. Here's a hint: Snape is definitely a very lonely person. Did anyone understand that? No? Moving on. I might do "You Belong With Me" by Taylor Swift for those two, though. Can't you just see Snape in a black dress and blond wig with some red lipstick and a guitar singing that? I also think the song "Obladi Oblada" by The Beatles is just perfect for Arthur and Molly Weasley. You know how I thought of that? The girl in the song is named Molly Jones. "A couple of kids playing in the yard of Desmond and Molly Jones"...... Perfect. I might also do some of the song "Hey Jude" by The Beatles. I adore that song, but I still need a character. Any suggestions? Oh, and the song has to do with encouragement, and can be interpreted to fit someone overcoming overwhelming odds to do something brave and heroic. The hardest part is where it says, "the minute you let her into you heart, then you can start to make it better". The situation "Hey Jude" was written for never happens in Harry Potter, but that song can be interpreted in ways that fit other situations. So yeah. This post actually gave me an idea, and something to think about. I've never written a songfic, but I might just try it!

regular_contributor

Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:54 pm
@magentadolphin21 --You could do "(I Got My Mind) Set on You" for Lily and Snape. It's not exactly a Beatles song, but it's by George Harrison. It may not exactly work, though. Anyway. Just a suggestion. I'm not well-versed in Beatles-songs. The only one I sort of know and like is the one talking about "All the Lonely People"--which fits Snape in my mind. ~Lauren

new

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:25 pm
I can see "Mine" by Taylor Swift for Ron and Hermione. :D

~Mia

new

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:19 am
do u wount to go out with him or not if u do tell him

new

Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:49 am
@magentadolphin21--
  • For Snape/Lily, do "Eleanor Rigby".
  • For "Hey Jude"...maybe Neville? Hey Jude is for Julian Lennon whose parents divorced. And Neville's parents are dead, which is kind of the same. "Hey Jude, don't feel so bad..." totally fits.
  • I agree with "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da", though.
  • You could do "Money, That's What I Want" for like Fudge or someone.
  • And in book 6, where Draco is kinda depressed, you could use "Help!"
  • And in book 2, where they're flying the car...guess what? "Drive My Car"!
I've got too many ideas for you. :lol:

AquaCat586/Sekhmet

"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to our friends."

~Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone~

I HAVE A RUBBER SOUL!

Tom Marvolo Riddle = I AM LORD VOLDEMORT!

"So this is what scientists back then thought about Venus. Information: "I couldn't see anything". Conclusion: Dinosaurs and seltzer water."

-Carl Sagan, The Cosmos

HTML Wizard!

new

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:47 am
"stick with u" totally fits ginny and harry bcuz harry tries to break up with ginny so she doesnt get hurt but ginny stays with him (stick with u!)

new

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:58 am
Neville's parents aren't dead, they are in the long term ward at St. Mungo's because they were tortured to insanity. I do not know what a songfic is.

new

Sat May 10, 2014 2:22 am
Well it isn't exactly a songfic but there someone in school that wrote a song these are the lyrics: What is that mysterious ticking noise? It’s kinda catchy. This is Snape. This is Snape . Everybody Severus Snape. This is Snape. This is Snape. And you got that? Snape! Snape! Snape! Snape! Snape! Snape! Snape! I am Severus Snape! I am Severus Snape. You are Severus Snape. We are Severus Snape. Dumbledore! Dumbledore! This is Snape. This is Snape. Everybody Severus Snape. This is Snape. This is Snape. And you got that? Snape! Snape! Snape! Snape! Snape! Snape! Snape! I am Severus Snape! I am Severus Snape. You are Severus Snape. We are Severus Snape. Dumbledore! Dumbledore!

new

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:39 pm

i think it is cool

[ 21 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team