General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 7 posts ] Average score:  
 Tips on writing memoirs?

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:17 pm
Hi everyone!!
I really need tips reguarding how to write memoirs. I'm struggling in that aspect of writing and need help. Please post a few tips!!

Re: Tips on writing memoirs?
frequent_contributor

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:40 am
Well, just write what you're thinking and how you feel, and what you'll want to remember in the future

regular_contributor

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:33 am
Writing a memoir can be tough. I have a hard time with the beginning, especially since I'm a novelist at core and for me, any writing has to have a beginning, a middle and an end. Also, when writing a memoir, be realistic and stick to the facts. I feel disheartened when writing a memoir because I feel that I don't have an interesting life - jus another teen girl. But I've realised that, it's NOT the life people care about, its YOU who makes it rock! So portray your vicious enemy at school down to the last ugly look and dramatize your best friend to the saint she definitely is. It's your life, so it's SOME memoir!

:-)

Hope I helped!

special_guest

Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:40 am
Hi Bluebell! What I usually do when writing a memoir or personal essay is look for significance in the little things. I look for something in my own experience that other people can understand, sympathize with, even relate to, as well as things that will help them understand me better. You want to think of the basic idea you're going to relate in the memoir, and keep your focus narrow. For example, a few years ago I had an assignment to write about something I had done within the past month. So I described a visit to a college (which I'm actually attending now!) I had taken a few weeks before. I told the story of my day and also revealed some thoughts and feelings (both at the time of the visit and at the time of writing the essay), but my basic point was that this was the place where I felt I was supposed to be. So a memoir is bigger than just a story; it's a point, something significant in your personal life. I hope that helps! If you want more input, check some earlier posts - Diona does a great job of giving memoir tips, and I think a few other panelists may have posted some as well. Good luck and keep writing!

Jessica

contributor

Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:45 am
All I can think of is, read the memoirs there are here. If you want to write a short memoir about something funny, read Hot Mess! For an event in your life, read The Craziest Thing to Do at Camp in the General Chat Peer Review section. And if something truly magical happened, not to show off or anything, but my Harry Potter memoir might help.

To write them, just write what happened. Then chip off anything unimportant and add some important details to make your reader interested. Like in the Harry Potter memoir, see the hanging chairs part. After that post it here and have it edited!

magic*esi

frequent_vsitor

Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:37 pm
Just Write With Your Heart .........

that's all i have for you....

~Brandy

[ 7 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team