General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 14 posts ] Average score:  
 Uniquely Random
frequent_vsitor

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:25 pm
Hey everyone! When I came on scholastic I had hoped to start something new and unique here, so I've decided on this.I'm not sure if someones done this already, I hope not, but here it goes! I hope you all enjoy Uniquely Random!

Uniquely Random
                By:Miranda

Hey everyone! here's the scoop; Uniquely Random is a magazine/newspaper that I will post monthly! It will include polls, fun or weird facts,discussion topics,author of the month,a new special suprise every post,and much much more! Please give feedback! thanks,
-Miranda

POLLS:

1.Would you rather be...                2.What is your favorite tv show?
a. a fairy                                            a.Sabrina the teenage witch
b.a troll                                             b.spongebob
c.invisible                                           c. icarly
d.a person with purple hair               d.Suite life of zack and cody/on deck

I would choose 1.a and 2.a

Funfacts:this months fun facts are weird laws from states all over the US. yes, these are ACTUAL LAWS no one bothered to remove!

*No elderly women who can scare a timid person and is wearing a hat can eat onions in public

*No whaleing (This is a law from a state where there is no and has never been an ocean!)

*You cannot drag your refridgerator outside at night and sleep on it

*You cannot ride your bicycle threw an EMPTY swimming pool!

Discussion: Should Cell phones be allowed in cars?
ok everyone, I heard that there may be a law passing saying cell phones might not be allowed in cars.what do you think?Should cell phones be allowed in cars?If not why?If yes,under what circumstances?I'll post my thoughts below!

I think cell phones should be allowed in cars because people need them in case of an emeergancy!But the circumstances would be it must be a bluetooth aka wireless so there is no need to use your hands which should be on the wheel!

Ice or Fire Feature: pick one out of each pair!

1.Bubbly or Colorful?
2.Sweet or spicey?
3.Writer or reader?
4.Adventurer or dreamer?
5.Country or big city?
6.Quiet or loud?
7.Follower or leader?

here are my awnsers:
1.bubbly
2.Sweet
3.Writer definitely!
4.Both!
5.Inbetween, the suburbs!
6.Im kind of quiet but definitely not afraid to speak my mind!
7.Leader forever:smileyvery-happy:

Advice: here I will share 3 tips about writing. you can reply with yours!

1.Have your own style, dont try to copy others!
2.Keep a pen and notepad with you at all times so you can write down any ideas you get so you dont forget them!
3.Express yourself through your writing!

thanks for reading! there will be more suprises and twists in the next issue!

Re: Uniquely Random
frequent_contributor

Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:16 am
Hey!
This is really cool, but I would like to remind you that the Novel: Post Work in Progress for Peer Review board is purely for novels... maybe you should post these on the General Chat or Journalism boards for now on? Or, if you want to keep it on the Novel boards, you can post it on the General Discussion one.
Just a suggestion! ;)

Here are my answers:
1. C (no one notices me anyway! :p)
2. D

1. Colorful
2. Sweet
3. Writer!!!!!!!!!
4. Dreamer
5. Um, suburbs?
6. Quiet most of the time, loud every once in a while... believe me, I can get really obnoxious when I'm around my friends! (hehe)
7. Leader, though no one ever listens to me, so I guess I'm actually a Follower... Lol...

~Diana/_cavyheart_

"When all else fails, believe."

regular_visitor

Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:46 pm

Tune in for the next best newspaper…

The Daily Scoop

(Tune in every day for the newest issue)

Click here for the very first posting of the "Daily Scoop"

Message Edited by _cookiedough4me_ on 02-13-2009 05:17 PM

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:17 pm
BookWriter101,

Great idea about starting this newspaper-- it seems you've generated some interest already.

It seems that this went up in the strange days of the reorganization of the message boards and I didn't have a chance to make some suggestions about adjustments to make this project more appropriate for the Write It boards.

First of all, we'll need to host this on the Journalism boards. Informative non-fiction writing belongs there.

Second, I'd like you to keep the discussion focused on issues surrounding reading and writing and keep the off-topic discussion to a minimum. With the Stacks being up and running, they are a better place to go for general socializing.

Best of luck with the project!

Write It Mod

frequent_contributor

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:53 pm
1) a
2) d

1) I think phones are fine in cars. One must be careful, however.

1) Colorful
2) Sweet
3) WRITER
4) Both, honestly.
5) Country!
6) LOUD
7) Leader!

SAVE THE DUDE

Kira

frequent_vsitor

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:01 pm
hey everyone! due to some text probloms and computer issues (its complicated) I may not be able to post up a new one of these every month sorry:smileysad: I may get the chance to adventualy, it takes a long time to write and proofread an issue! Dont worry Ill try to come up with something else, thanks for your support, -Miranda
"You try things,they dont work out,but better that than not to do them and go through life wondering what would have happended!"

contributor

Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:57 pm
Polls: 1.    I would rather be a oerson with purple hair! I always wanted to have purple hair. however not real purple hair. Maybe a purple wig.

2. Sabrina the teenage witch is pretty good. I also like the suite life on deck. I guess thats A) and D).
Funfacts: Wow, these are some strange laws.:smileyvery-happy:
Discussion: I don't think cell phones should be allowed in cars. Because it might be very dangerous. It will distract the driver. If is a wireless, than I think it's O.K.

Ice or fire feature: I pick "
1. Colorful
2.Sweet
3.Writer and reader
4.Adventurer and dreamer
5.Country
6.Quiet
7. It's good to follow and lead.

Advice: I don't really have any advice. I would like to share a quote that I like. " That stuff on the paper are only words, YOU have to give it life."

A friend is someone who thinks you’re a good EGG even though you’re slightly cracked.

Emily * Schopuppy*

frequent_vsitor

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:34 pm
Great news! Uniquely Random is now back up and running!Look for new issues on the jornalism general disscussion board.I will post a link to the newest issue on here as soon as the message is up!See you there,

-Miranda
"Life is too short to be mad.
laugh at your mistakes,hang with the people YOU want to hang with,and live life to its fullest!"

frequent_vsitor

Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:35 pm
Ok,heres the link.Normally you would just look at the latest post on the board,but since its been a while and really crazy around here,I have posted the link for you.I hope you enjoy,please tell me if you have any suggestions to make Uniquely Random better!Thanks a bunch,

-Miranda
"Life is too short to be mad.
laugh at your mistakes,hang with the people YOU want to hang with,and live life to its fullest!"

contributor

Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:24 pm

_BookWriter101_ wrote:
Hey everyone! When I came on scholastic I had hoped to start something new and unique here, so I've decided on this.I'm not sure if someones done this already, I hope not, but here it goes! I hope you all enjoy Uniquely Random!

Uniquely Random
                By:Miranda

Hey everyone! here's the scoop; Uniquely Random is a magazine/newspaper that I will post monthly! It will include polls, fun or weird facts,discussion topics,author of the month,a new special suprise every post,and much much more! Please give feedback! thanks,
-Miranda

POLLS:

1.Would you rather be...                2.What is your favorite tv show?
a. a fairy                                            a.Sabrina the teenage witch
b.a troll                                             b.spongebob
c.invisible                                           c. icarly
d.a person with purple hair               d.Suite life of zack and cody/on deck

I would choose 1.a and 2.a

Funfacts:this months fun facts are weird laws from states all over the US. yes, these are ACTUAL LAWS no one bothered to remove!

*No elderly women who can scare a timid person and is wearing a hat can eat onions in public

*No whaleing (This is a law from a state where there is no and has never been an ocean!)

*You cannot drag your refridgerator outside at night and sleep on it

*You cannot ride your bicycle threw an EMPTY swimming pool!

Discussion: Should Cell phones be allowed in cars?
ok everyone, I heard that there may be a law passing saying cell phones might not be allowed in cars.what do you think?Should cell phones be allowed in cars?If not why?If yes,under what circumstances?I'll post my thoughts below!

I think cell phones should be allowed in cars because people need them in case of an emeergancy!But the circumstances would be it must be a bluetooth aka wireless so there is no need to use your hands which should be on the wheel!

Ice or Fire Feature: pick one out of each pair!

1.Bubbly or Colorful? Colorful.
2.Sweet or spicey? Wait do you mean for favorite flavor?  sweet.  but im more spicy in personality. 
3.Writer or reader? writer all the way! 
4.Adventurer or dreamer? mostly adventurur, im some dreamer.
5.Country or big city? i live in a big city but SO BADLY want to live in the country
6.Quiet or loud? loud.  very.  but not in words.  i dont talk much but a do battle cries and animal cries and stuff.
7.Follower or leader? Leader/loner. 

here are my awnsers:
1.bubbly
2.Sweet
3.Writer definitely!
4.Both!
5.Inbetween, the suburbs!
6.Im kind of quiet but definitely not afraid to speak my mind!
7.Leader forever:smileyvery-happy:

Advice: here I will share 3 tips about writing. you can reply with yours!

1.Have your own style, dont try to copy others!
2.Keep a pen and notepad with you at all times so you can write down any ideas you get so you dont forget them!
3.Express yourself through your writing!

thanks for reading! there will be more suprises and twists in the next issue!

visitor

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:49 am
1. c
2. c

I think cell phones should be allowed in cars but only used in emergencies not like txting while your driving or something...

1. Bubbly
2. Sweet
3. Writer!!
4. Adventurer
5. big city
6. Quiet
7. Follower

new

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:30 pm
I LOVE YOUR IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FWI YOU ARE A REALLY GOOD WRITER! 1. a 2. c Please say none of those laws are in Texas! cuz' that is just weird! Yes, cellphones should be allowed in cars, in case of an emergency! 1. colorful 2. sweet 3. BOTH!!!!! 4. dreamer 5. big city 6. quiet 7. leader definitely- I hate being a follower! Be yourself, don't try to be someone you're not. The best writing peices are when you have experienced the events yourself. What kind of surprises and twists?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:11 pm
Love you Idea

[ 14 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team