General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 15 posts ] Average score:  

When did you learn to read?
When I was 4. 74%  74%  [ 29 ]
When I was 5. 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
When I was 6. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I was a late starter. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 39
 WANTED: Ideas for a new book
new

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:01 pm
I'm only eight years old, but I love to write stories on the computer. Does anyone have ideas of what I should write about in the next book I type? P.S: For all you boys, I like to write stories about girls. That's because I am a girl! Thanks! -Indigocat84

Re: WANTED: Ideas for a new book
new

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:59 pm
Create a small town. If you're really serious about it, even draw up a map of the town. Give it a name, a population. Give it stores, restaurants, schools, everything. Create characters who live in the small town. Give them names, back-stories, interests, personalities, pets, quirks. Then write!
Hope I've helped. <3, Anna :D

new

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:37 pm
I'm 10 years old, and I love writing stories too! Before I can think of an idea, what kind do you like to write?? Fantasy, realistic fiction, science fiction, what kind of things do you like to write about??
- amberkite7

new

Wed May 15, 2013 12:53 am
I started this when I was 8, and now I am 9. Fill in the blanks. It was a warm ____ day, she was ___ years old and she was sitting on the grass. Her mom had been mean to her, and she was planning revenge, her ideas were nothing of what really happened. As she was planning, she thought I want to kill her. When her mom was at ____ a giant ____ came and killed her. No!! she thought as she promised to never again think bad thoughts again. But her promise didn't make it through. Whenever she thought something, it happened. For example, one day she and her best friend had a big fight about ___ and she had thought a bad thought about ____ her. Immediately it happened, and she was once again regreting her actions. But she couldn't stop. Her bad things kept happening, and people started calling her a ____ a _____ a ______ and a freak. She endured this for 3 years until she couldn't endure it any longer. Waiting till her dad ____ and her sister ___ were asleep, she got out of bed. The creaking of the floorboards caught her sister's attention, and she went out of bed to investigate. Their ____ was running away. ___ decided to let her run away as long as she had the right supplies. So ___ gave her the things she would need, and bid ___ farewell on her journey. When __ had walked enough, she finally found a train. She got a ticket, and she jumped aboard. Then, when the ride was done, she hopped off the train and found a girl named ___. This girl took her too a place where people like her lived. One had a power to be able to control ___. Another had a power to ___. None of them had the same power, and they each understood each other. They lived happily for a while until a monk came, found them, and made them go to school. There was a problem though she __________. Complete the rest.

new

Sun May 19, 2013 12:11 pm
@amberkite: I'm 10 too!

new

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:42 pm
Haha!I know what u mean i'm a girl too.but,im nine years old. i have two ideas for your book.the first one is that this girl and her parents move to a town with no kids around and at night she always hears someone calling her name but her parents dont believe her.......... and then u can finsh the rest! my second one is about a girl who has every thing that you can dream of....well at least she thinks.but she meets a prince and finds out that she doesnt have everthing and that she would give all her stuff for her to have real love. but her father didnt like that...................and now you finish it! IF YOU EVER WANT TO TALK MY USERNAME IS LADYBUGYELLOW21

new

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:22 am
Maybe you could write a sequel to your favorite book. I do that a lot so I can write about my favorite characters. The setting, characters, genre, and sometimes title and plot are already set-up for you. But, this is only if you are writing for fun. If you are writing for a school project DO NOT use this idea because teachers may say that you were copying an original idea. For schoolwork, you could go online and search 'story starters' and find a bunch of awesome sentences to start off your story. Hope this helps your Writers Block, authorgirl70

new

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:29 pm
I read a 100 page chapter book alone when I was three (response to your poll).

new

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:16 pm
Go on and write!I am ten, i started writing actually at 3! Write on and on, i got a 5 on fcat writes and i hope you do too! I write on my computer and on paper! Okay, you should write about a girl who has secret powers, her parents try to keep it away from the public, but one day when she accidentally lets it out she is sent away to some type of camp!People with different personalities are there!

new

Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:42 pm

today I dropped something behind my bed, and I saw the shoebox I keep my ballet stuff in. i thought it would be a good idea to write a book about ballet. A girl who loves to dance, or wants to, rather, but her parents won't let her and she's really sad. she dances on her own, though, and does it lots and lots, and becomes really good, and a ballet teacher sees her dancing one time and asks if she takes dance classes (which she doesn't, of course,) and when she finds out the girl doesn't, and hears the whole story, she signs her up, buys all her clothes for her, and brings her to dance class every day. something like that.

new

Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:20 am

How about you re-write a fairy tale?

new

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:17 pm

Maybe you could write about something that happened to you. Well unless you want a series topic.or you could write about a girl who thinks she is a normal girl until she finds that she is descended from a royal family.enlightened

new

Thu May 26, 2016 2:47 pm

You could write about a person who has fire, life, and earth powers as well as dragon's wings, but she kept it a secret, even to her parents. If she spilled the beans to ANYONE, the PCD (Power Control Department) would arrive at the door and take her away. None of the people who were taken came back, and to this day, no one knows what happened to them. So she hasn't told any of her friends or family members. Then one day, the PCD start burning down houses, and it is this day that her family finds out that she has powers and a pair of wings. She grabs a bag of nescessities and flies off, leaving her family to face the wrath of the PCD. The rest of the book can be her fleeing from dangers alike, and she maybe even can find where all the rest of the gifted (people with powers) hide. I hope this idea helps you!cool

signing off,

-Dragoncrown485

new

Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:39 pm

As a writer myself, you should write about a girl based off of you, who goes on a crazy adventure. I'm currently writing a book like that, it's called The Prophecy.

- amberdolphin1094

new

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:40 pm

I'm an 12 year old who also loves to write! The best ideas will come from things around you pay attention, talk to some intresting people eventually a story will develop on itself. laugh

[ 15 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team