Save the Planet!

Announcements

Hi Everyone! Welcome to SAVE THE PLANET! Message Board — Talk about the environment, ask questions, share tips, and learn about what it means to be GREEN!

If you're visiting from the Save the Gorillas Board, welcome! This is your new place to share your ideas about saving the gorillas and other endangered species.

My name is Jessica, and I am the moderator for this message board. I am thrilled to be here, and I’m eager to hear your great ideas about helping the environment. I’ll be sharing my own thoughts, asking questions, and posting polls, so keep checking back!

Here are the rules for this message board. These rules help to keep things safe and fun, so be sure to read and follow them!

1. No last names, schools, or cities (states are okay)
2. Age/grade is okay, but no birthdays
3. No being mean or rude, and no cursing
4. No posting your e-mail address or links to other websites
5. No attachments or pictures are allowed

Remember that your messages must be approved by me before anyone else can read them. I will try to read/approve your messages as quickly as possible. You can help things move along quickly by following the rules listed above.
   [ 3 posts ] Average score:  
 Waste-Free Lunches

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi everyone,

My daughter's school has been having "Waste-Free Lunch Days" lately.  That means the lunch should contain nothing that goes to the landfill.  We try to pack an entirely waste-free lunch, but it's hard to do!  The hardest part for us is figuring out how to pack her yogurt.  I've been buying her yogurt tubes, but those have plastic wrappers that go in the landfill.  :(

Have you ever tried to make your lunch waste-free?  What was your biggest challenge?

Do you have any ideas about how I can replace the following items to make them waste-free?  If you come up with a solution for all 5 items, I will send you a shout-out!

• Yogurt tube
  • Mozzarella cheese stick (with plastic wrapper)
  • Power bar
  • Juice box
  • pre-packaged snack pack of cookies

-Elise :-)

Re: Waste-Free Lunches
frequent_vsitor

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:56 pm

I think there are two puposes of the waste free lunch. To stop filling up landfills, and to get kids to eat healtheir. Try makeing homeade cookies and packing them in reusable contaners, buy a block of cheese and pack it the same way. Make homeade granola bars, buy bulk yougurt, and put juice in a reuseable water bottle.

Re: Waste-Free Lunches
contributor

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:35 pm

Hm...

• Yogurt Tube: I know this isn't great, but you can put it into a container!
  • Mozzarella cheese stick: there's no avoiding the wrapper, unless you find a way to reuse it somehow!  But you can always buy other mozzarella cheese that doesn't come in plastic!
  • Power Bar: Put this in a container, maybe?
  • Juice Box: Use a bottle of juice, and reuse it!
  • Cookies: You can open the package at home... not very helpful, I know... or you can just bring cookies that aren't in a package!

I know most of those weren't great solutions, but good luck anyway!  It's great that the school does this!

° Foreverelephant °

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

I'm not afraid of ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ƃuıʎɟǝp...

«´¯`¸.°° ~~ °°.¸¸.´¯

[ 3 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team