Reading Buzz Board!

Announcements

Hello future and past friends! WELCOME to the Buzz Board! I'm Katie, the moderator for the Buzz Board. If you've been around awhile, I used to moderate several message boards, including Dear America, Baby-sitters Club, Graphix, and Flashlight Readers way back when. . .! It's great to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place!!
   [ 52 posts ] Average score:  
 WHAT BOOKS SHOULD YOU READ THIS SUMMER??

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:04 pm
There have been a lot of book recommendations threads going around, so I thought I'd make this one a sticky and we can put all our suggestions here. If you've written one already, try to find it and copy and paste. Or write a new suggestion. Don't forget we also have book reviews above, if you need more ideas!

Re: WHAT BOOKS SHOULD YOU READ THIS SUMMER??
contributor

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:17 pm
I'm in love with dystopians, so, any YA dystopian novel. :D ~Jared

frequent_contributor

Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:02 am
I think that we should keep our minds sharp this summer, which is why I recomend "George's Secret Key to the Universe" by Stephen Hawking. It's a novel written for young adults that teaches and explains even the most complicated theories of the universe! (And as I sidenote, I'd also recomend his specials on Discovery channel about the universe, because they too are very interesting, educational, and easy to understand) Don't think that because Stephen Hawking is a psychophysist that it's just a boring lecture, I'm reading it right now and I have to say it's so great I can't put it down. It's about a boy named George who travels the universe and has to save the cosmos from a treacherous black hole, and along the way he learns the key to the cosmos, and why the universe is as it is. Very enthralling, and not just for nerds like me!

Twinktoes87

~Proud Supporter of the Rainbow~

Copy and paste this if you support the LGBT community and their rights

new

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:41 am
you should totally read daphnes book by mary downing hahn, best book ever. also read down the rabbit hole by peter abrams. i need some books to read to so please give suggestions

frequent_vsitor

Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:05 pm
Ok usually im the one asking but i will give some too Eleven Trading Faces When you Reach me Matched The Mysterious Bennedict Society Girl Stolen The girl in the park Everything for a dog The false prince Kingdom Keepers Lots of others will put more later

new

Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:32 pm
THE FALSE PRINCE!!!!!!!?(yeah I was drinking kool-aid again)

regular_contributor

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:28 pm
I would reccomend these series:
The Beacon Street Girls
Camp Confidential
Candy Apple
The 39 Clues
Enjoy! :D
-
~Rachel, who gets to go to a dance tonight!

new

Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:14 pm
I think you should read any of Rick Riordan's books and Suzanne Collins books. aquaemerald138

contributor

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:58 pm

-If you're a fantasy/kids-with-superpowers reader, try James Patterson's young adults series: Maximum Ride, Daniel X, and Witch and Wizard.

-If you want a fun read about teenage spies:

Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter (girl spy, funny/romance)

Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz (boy spy, more dark/serious)

-If you want something romance-heavy/adventure:

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

-If you want a heavier/darker/dystopian read:

Legend by Marie Lu

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

-If you're a mystery person, try either Margaret Peterson Haddix or Agatha Christie. Agatha Christie's books are for more advanced readers who can read word-heavy books. She's written a lot of books, but I would recommend "And Then There Were None", "Murder on the Orient Express", and "Murder of Roger Ackroyd".

-If you're a realistic fiction person, try Ann M. Martin's books.

Hope that helps! :)

~Lestria

regular_contributor

Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:09 am
Oh, I already know what I'm reading. >.< The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, Me Talk Pretty One Day, Outliers, and A People’s History of the United States. They're for my AP projects. Besides that, I am going to read the fifth installment in the Mortal Instruments series and plan to do a lot of rereading. XD

new

Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:46 pm
Hard Question. Don't know yet. I just read many book. I just finished THE FALSE PRINCE. It was awesome:)
~TurquouisePanda37

rookie_visitor

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:10 pm
i would recommend All The Lovely Bad Ones by Mary Downing Hahn its a kind of scary mystery thing also Somebody Named Eva by ? those are good books if your interested :] from tachi

regular_visitor

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:32 pm
Read Out of My Mind!

new

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:36 pm
Hm... a great YA book is The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. ;) Also, The Book Thief is really good! If any of you have not read Harry Potter, that is definetly a must read! :D
~Skyelark Moon :lol:

regular_visitor

Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:38 am
I'm reading Wonderstruck this summer.

new

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:27 pm
Underland Chronicles series, Mysterious Benedict society series,Percy Jackson series, Wolves Of the Beyond series, Guardians of Ga'Hoole series,Dear Dumb Diary series,Dork Diaries, The girl who could fly,Out of my mind,Holes,

contributor

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:40 pm
Here are a few!
The ones in blue are YA fiction,
and the ones in black are for all ages.

Science Fiction/Fantasy
The Inheritance Cycle (series) -- Christopher Paolini
Harry Potter (series) -- J.K. Rowling
Peter and the Starcatchers (series) -- Dave Barry and Ridely Pearson
Skellig -- David Almond
Liesl & Po -- Lauren Oliver
Things Not Seen (Series) -- Andrew Clements

Dystopian/Futuristic books
The Hunger Games (series) -- Suzanne Collins
Divergent (series) -- Veronica Roth
Matched -- Ally Condie
Incarceron (series) -- Catherine Fisher
First Light -- Rebecca Stead
The Giver -- Lois Lowry

Historical Fiction
The Help -- Kathryn Stockett
Fever -- Laurie Halse Anderson
The Book Theif -- Markus Zusak
Girl With a Pearl Earring -- Tracy Chevalier
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas -- John Boyne (?)
The Chosen -- Chaim Potok (This one is older than the others...)
To Kill a Mockingbird -- Harper Lee (One of my favorite books of all time!)
The Wednesday Wars -- Gary Shmidt (This is not strictly YA, but I think it is worth reading at any age.)

Realistic Fiction
When You Reach Me -- Rebecca Stead
The Fault in Our Stars -- John Green
The Truth About Forever -- Sarah Dessen (Don't judge this book by its cover... The book isn't even really about romance. Sort of.)

Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters -- Lesley MM Blume
The Forgotten Garden -- Kate Morton
Speak -- Laurie Halse Anderson
The Mysterious Benedict Society -- Trenton Lee Stewart

~Foreverelephant♥

new

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:04 pm
Well, to state the obvious, Harry Potter and Hunger Games are great series, if anyone hasn't read them. I recently read Once Upon a Marigold and it's sequel, Twice Upon a Marigold. Those are good books - a bit girly, though xD

new

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:10 pm
I will read the following: The Hunger Games Trilogy By:Suzanne Collins Hoot By: Carl Hiaasen 13 Gifts By: Wendy Mass The Books of Elsewhere By: Jacqueline West The Chronicles of Narnia By: C.S. Lewis

contributor

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:32 pm
The Mystery Tunnel and The Thief Lord and many others

new

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:47 am
I quite enjoy the Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie series by Alan Bradley. It is about a girl chemistry whiz who solves murder mysteries.

new

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:27 am
Well, the books that I am reading for this summer are the "Guardians of GA'Hoole" and "Wolves of the Beyond" series. I finished reading "The Capture" from "Guardians of GA'Hoole" (It was epic and suspenseful. I also liked Soren, because he was very brave and smart, but he always have to believe in himself and know that there is a way in a predicament matter). I also loved the movie adapted to the books "Legends of the Guardians: The Owls of GA'Hoole" ( I saw it four times). The author Kathryn Lasky has really done a great job writing the books. I also liked to write stories myself. I admired her and her work and will hope to become a writer someday. You are unique Kathryn Lasky, Thank You.

contributor

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:00 pm
This summer, I'm reading all of the Stephen King books. Don't be dismayed if you're not a horror reader.
The Stand is fantasy/post-apocalyptic
Firestarter is a sci-fi thriller
The Talisman is fantasy
The Eyes of the Dragon is fantasy
The Tommyknockers is sci-fi
Dolores Claiborne is a psychological thriller
Insomnia is fantasy
Rose Madder is fantasy
The Colorado Kid is mystery
Lisey's Story is fantasy
Under the Dome is dystopian
11/22/63 is sci-fi
The Long Walk (under pseudonym Richard Bachman) is dystopian
Roadwork (Bachman) is realistic fiction
The Running Man (Bachman) is dystopian
The Regulators (Bachman) is sci-fi
Blaze (Bachman) is a crime novel
The Dark Tower series is fantasy

- Chimera

new

Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:32 pm
You should totally read the hunger games by suzan collins.... The cage by ruth minskey..... 13 little blue envolopes...unknown author at the time....one more would be ... That summer by sarah dessen. Have fun reading this summer!!!!

new

Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:17 pm
the sisters grimm andW.I.T.C.H arre some of my favorites. also tanglewreck.

new

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:34 pm
I recently read a great book from a series by Veronica Roth called "Divergent". It was amazing! I could not put it down. I stayed up all night reading and finished it the same day as i bought it! I have just started to read the sequel "Insurgent" and just by the first page i can tell is promises to be just as amazing as the first! I greatly recommend this book for any summer readers! :)

new

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:51 am
READ HARRY POTTER!!!!

new

Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:03 pm
I sugjest harry potter/the American Girl series and Diary of a wimpy kid

new

Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:10 pm
this summer you should read tales of a 4th grade nothing and superfudge.

new

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:02 am
I am reading The Luxe right now which is the first book of four in a series by Anna Godbersen. It's set in Manhattan in the late 1800's. I guess you could say it's historical fiction, but anyhow, it's an excellent book! I highly recommend it though I doubt a guy would enjoy it.

frequent_vsitor

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:44 pm
I recommend:
----------------------------------------------------------------
A mango-shaped space
Fever, 1793
Peak
Life as we knew it (1st book in a series)
The Hunger Games (If you have not read it. Also: 12+)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's all I got.
~Phoenixsong3, who is getting bored with reading Three Cups of Tea, for summer reading.

contributor

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:18 pm
Here's another good one: Kiki Strike, by Kristin Miller, which I think can be read by all ages. :D

Foreverelephant

Deep in the meadow, under the willow,
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow..”

--Rue's Lullaby

new

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:59 pm
I reccomend the percy jackson series and the heros of olympus series.I thought these books would be boring, but the story is awsome!Also for all u fans in adventure,fantasy and cliffhanger type books read this series. Rick Riordan has really made a great series.He is on my favorate authors list! Have a GREAT SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regular_visitor

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:54 pm
Okay, so I'm going to separate this list into two sections. Books for teens (like MEEE!) -Matched by Allie Condle: futuristic romance -Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen: romance -The Gallagher Girls series: spies/romance/adventure -Warriors by Erin Hunter series of course: adventure Books for younger kids -Candy Apple Series: realistic fiction -Warriors by Erin Hunter series: adventure -Cinderella Cleaners series by Maya Gold: realistic fiction For reeeeaally little kids: Happy Go Lucky; Big Apple Barn series: chapter books about a pony named Happy. (ADORABLE!) -pearpearthe14th

new

Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:23 pm
Paranormal romance are my favorite type of books nowadays. However, I refuse to read Twilight. Trylle Trilogy has been a recent trilogy I've read and it's fantastic. On the other hand...you can never go wrong with Harry Potter!

frequent_vsitor

Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:41 am
well during the summer i am in the book club! i read quite a few books but i will recommend my favourites! so everyone can read them 1. HUNGER GAMES! 2.THE CITY OF EMBER #1 3.FIRST LIGHT 4.MERMAID MELODY 5.BIG NATE FROM TH TOP ( AND OTHER BIG NATE STORYS!) 6.WITCH AND WIZARD 7.DORK DIAIRES 8.MAXIMUM RIDE 9.DIARY OF A WIMPY KID 10 way more!! please check all of these books out maybe not all them you will like but maybe there is a book in this list that will be just right for you here is my slogan: IF YOU CAN HAVE FRIENDS THEN YOU CAN HAVE BOOKS AS FREINDS!

regular_contributor

Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:00 am
If you like classic books, Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery is good, but also a little girly, but not that much. It's about an orphan named Anne who is adopted by a brother and sister and she grows up living with them.
If you like dystopian novels, you could read Matched by Allie Condie, it's about a Society where they judge, just based on your family's history, every detail of your life, creating a supposedly perfect society.
If you like historical fiction, there's a book I'm reading right now called Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson, which is about a girl living in Philadelphia during the fever epidemic in 1793.
~Courtney~

contributor

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:42 pm
Guys, if you like dystopian, read "Starters" by Lissa Price. SO AMAZING! ~Jared

visitor

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:54 am
I would definitly recomend the Warriors series by Erin Hunter, The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzzane Collins, The Last Survivors series by Susan Beth Pfeffer, Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan, The 39 Clues, The Kane Chroncles by Riordan, and Schooled by Gordan Korman.

new

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:15 pm
you should read Times Squared.Its about two identical twin sisters that go to new york and even pretend to be each other![twin swap] I would highly recommend this book. So swing on by your local book store and pick up Times Squared a mix book by julia DeViillers and Jennifer Roy. P.S:dont forget to check out Trading Faces another great mix book. :]

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:40 am
You MUST read The Red Blazer Girls series by Michael D. Beil!!! It is amazing! The first book is The Ring of Rocamadour, the second book is The Vanishing Violin, the third book is The Mistaken Masterpiece, and the fourth book is coming out on October 9, 2012 and it's called The Secret Cellar. This is a must-read for anyone.

~spriteemerald3

regular_visitor

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:45 pm
Ballerina Cleaners, Cupckake Diares, Letters to Leo and american girl magnize.

new

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:11 pm
I want to recommend Confectionately Yours: Save the Cupcake because it's about this girl and lots of bad things happens to her but the good news is that she loves baking cupcakes. There's a lot of cupcake recipes in this book. :) :P -Maliha who's hearing Green Day "Oh Love"

new

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:48 pm
The best book to read is A Dog's Purpose! Especially for people who LOVE dogs and have let go of a pet before... It made me laugh, smile and cry. it made me think of my pet in a different perspective. If you already read that book, Bruce Cameron just wrote a new book! It's a continuation of a Dog's Purpose. It's called A Dog's Journey. It's very descriptive and it etches every single picture in your brain. I finished it like, four days ago, and when I put it down I had some closure in what happened in the book. It made me cry, smile and laugh,too. When I put it down, it also made me think of the purpose of life. I recommend it for people who have a craving for a bit of drama and suspense at the same time. It is very touching and is very clever, at the same time, wise.

new

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:27 pm
Raising dragons is a good christian/fantasy book. I've been reading it for 11 weeks. I really like it!!!:D :D :D :D :D

frequent_vsitor

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:58 pm
i would reccomend the Fallen series- its about a girl named luce who is sent to a rehab school because she accidently killed someone, and meets her cursed soul mate, daniel. hush, hush series- i am halfway through the first book, but the back says its about fallen angles and stuff the fallen so i figured i should read it instead of harry potter for the fourth time. hunger games- who hasnt heard of it! harry potter- see above uglies series- its like, in the future, and everyone when they are sixteen has this surgery that turns them pretty but i dont want to describe to much or i will give it away but heres my two favorite quotes from it, both from the last book, extras, you joined the unicorns? and at least i, unlike some people, didnt blow anything up.

visitor

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:36 pm
The City Of Bones(1st book in the mortal instruments series) by Cassandra Clare.... IT WAS AMAZING!!! Matched by Ally Condie. I'd tell you I love you but Then I'd Have To Kill You(1st in the gallgher girl series) by Ally Carter. Heist Society by Ally Carter. I read teen/young adult books and the books above are teen and young adult but there is nothing bad of any sorts in them, The City Of Bones has a few Bad words and in all of the books theres a little side of romance like The Hunger Games for instance. I am thinking about reading Divergent and I heard that Matched is highly similar to it. The other books im sure you'll like.

rookie_visitor

Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:22 pm
Babysitters Club by Ann M.Martin!!!!!!!!!! From the mixed-up files e.l.konigsburg AG!!!!!!!!!!!American Girl (no offense boys)

new

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:38 pm
baby-sitters club I love those books!!!!!!! :)

visitor

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:38 am
SUP PEOPLE I AM JUST CHILLIN AT HOME. OK LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS, there is this book i am reading called ... DRUMROLL PLEASE!!!!!!!! RAVEN'S GATE book ONE of the gate keepers. It is awesome check it out, read it, share it. I will tell you more about the book. This boy (sorry i won't give you his name) has done some bad stuff most of his life he has shoplifted and stole, he was given a choice go live with an old lady in the country parts of England (b/c that is the setting of the story)or go to jail. DA DA DONNNNNNE that is as much as i will tell you. Write you l8er. Till then my friends!!!!! P.S. THE BOOK IS CALLED Ravens Gate. it is a fiction book

Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:24 am
Hey! I love: The 39 Clues series (Its really good in the beginning but i do have to admit you have to interested in history a tiny bit to LOVE the book because it gets boring at some parts, just saying), The Babysitters Club series, I know What You Did Last Summer, This is a series: Book 1: The Face on The Milk Carton, Book 2: Whatever happened to Janie, Book 3: The voice on the radio, Book 4: What Janie Found, Then there is the book The Stone Child, books by Ann M. Martin, Paula Danziger, Rick Riordan. I love all of these books, if you agree tell me why and PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE BECAUSE THESE BOOKS ARE GREAT!

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:28 am
Hey Moderator! Um, what does float mean???? I'm asking because a lot of ppl ask to float their message. So what does it mean?????? From Katie- it's when I tag it to stay at the top of the list

[ 52 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team