Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 5 posts ] Average score:  
 What it Means to be Smart
new

Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:32 pm
Homework, books, and studying all day
When you finish early, you don't know what to say
You get the highest grades in class
When you're asked to have fun you always pass
You're brainy, book-loving, and serious
You always find a reason to be curious
Being smart can be good.
You don't have many friends
Just ones who like books.
While you're reading,
You're always hooked.
You'll never answer a simple question
Even if someone needs your attention.
To the only questions you answer
Are the ones the teacher asks you.
You never read fiction, just knowledge.
Like an encyclopedia
That has a thousand pages.
And you never use any technology media.
The only time you ever use tech
Is when you're looking for an answer for a sec.
Being smart can be hard.
Some people are smart just like you
But they make sure they have some time for fun too.
Being smart isn't bad
But it's good to enjoy fun
So you won't be sad.
There are more things to life than just plain books
Once you try checkers you'll be hooked
There's kinds of books that have special stories.
You could try Harry Potter
Or Lord of the Rings
You just have to find one that really pings.
There's kinds of crafts you can do that involve math
When you do them they'll make you have joy and laugh.
Your life doesn't have to be all serious and books.
There's more fun things out there if you take a look.

Re: What it Means to be Smart
new

Mon May 30, 2016 11:13 pm

this poem is great!! however, one piece of constructive cristism: dont base on entire poem on a sterotype. for example in this poem the stereo type is that smart people don't have fun and all they do is study. sorry but, i'm a smart person who works for A's, and i have TONS of fun and read more than an encylcolpedia lol!! Otherwise, keep it coming :)

new

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:57 pm

@Crazymonkey150

I wrote this poem over 2 years ago. Since then, I have matured in great lengths. I've taken certain tests, and they have shown that I have more types of intelligence and more power in my intelligence than most people.

Looking back at the poem, I'm surprised I even wrote it. This seems like a poem of someone else's work, not mine, but I agree that it's stereotypical. Back then, I didn't know as much, but I was still an abnormal intelligence. I'm not trying to offend other intelligent people or others who are what science calls "average," I'm stating who I am.

I am able to make a new poem since then. It's honestly extremely difficult to be smart, because pretty much my entire grade belives I'm a weird person who is a lot dimmer than them. Society can be cruel.

I'm happy you get A's, and yes, I agree wholeheartedly with the opinion of the poem being stereotypical. I'm not trying to offend you, per se, but continue a conversation and share my own opinion.

Reply please? :)

-Rachel

new

Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:21 pm

HEY RACHEL :) 

Absolutly understand! Don't worry! i really liked the poem (and also hope i didnt offend you)! I was just going through multiple people's poems and giving advice. you keep working at it! and remember that it never EVER EVER matters whaat everyone else thinks about you!! Trust me, i agree with you when you said "It's honestly extremely difficult to be smart, because pretty much my entire grade belives I'm a weird person who is a lot dimmer than them. Society can be cruel. i feel as if we are losing a lot of smart people because its not "normal" to want to work hard anymore! i take it you work hard in school, at thats the basis of a somewhat idea you got for thsi poem? maybe??  

And you definetly have not offended me, so don't worry about that! :) :) :) Keep being true to who you are and write more poems!!!!!!!!!

-crazymonkey150

Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:39 pm

Heres something i wrote like that

Smarts

It means you have no real friends.

Well, maybe some, but never a lot

Not destined for popularity

But so what? You'll still succeed in life

But theres a part of you

That secretly, late at night

When you can't sleep