Full Series Discussion

Announcements

Welcome everyone! My name is Brian and I'm moderating the boards. Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
- Please read my FAQ’s post.
- If you still have a question, feel free to ask me here.

I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place to get excited about HP!
   [ 43 posts ] Average score:  
 What made you want to read Harry Potter?
new

Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm
Hey Everyone!
Random question-- what made you want to read Harry Potter in the first place?
With me, I was watching the Chamber of Secrets on TV, and then I decided to try reading the books! In the library, they were all out of order, so I ended up reading The Goblet of Fire first. :D
Have you always had Harry Potter in your life, or did you find out about it because you wanted to find something new? ;)
~ѕкуєℓαяк мσση

Re: What made you want to read Harry Potter?
contributor

Mon May 14, 2012 11:59 pm
I first heard Harry Potter being read aloud to my younger sister... I was listening in. :) I got interested and decided to read the books myself! :D
~Foreverelephant

new

Tue May 15, 2012 7:46 pm
The Harry Potter books were my grandpa's favorites. He started trying to get me to read them when I started reading around age 5, but I didn't read them until I was about 6 and a half. And I still love HP to this day, six years later.

new

Thu May 17, 2012 7:03 pm
My whole family read the books and was telling me to read them. When I was little I didn't want to, but when I got older and saw all the movies, I just knew I had to read them. :)

visitor

Sun May 20, 2012 2:25 am
My whole entire class was reading the series so I thought... why not? I loved them!!!!!!

Sun May 20, 2012 7:37 pm
I saw some of a Harry Potter movie on TV when I was 6 1/2, and decided to read the books. I actually tried reading OotP first, and didn't understand much. I also had a tendency back then to skip around, so I ended up just reading two words of a page late in the book - "Sirius died." I then shut the book (because I liked Sirius), and then read the entire series in order. I was really mad. I already knew who Sirius was because I saw the movies up to PoA prior to that. I read the books up to number six in first grade. When I was 9 and in fourth grade, I finally read DH. Since then, I still haven't found any better books. So yeah. That is the complete story of my HP crazy obsessiveness!!!!!!

new

Mon May 21, 2012 2:40 pm
Hmm, good question! I started reading the books too late (age 9. Shameful to admit, I know, I know :(). anyway some of my friends had already read them but I wasn't too interested - I thought it would be like Cinderella or some fairy tale and TOO fantasylike. Well, anyway, I just picked SS up at the library one day, and I fell in love. It really is a captivating story, and one you can relate to very well! :D

contributor

Wed May 23, 2012 2:03 pm
My Mom read 1-3 to me when I was 4, but we decided to take a break because I was scared, LOL, memories. Anyway, I finally reread them when I was 11, because they were just so popular, and I thought "There's gotta be a reason why they're so popular!" ~Jared

new

Sun May 27, 2012 1:27 pm
Harry Potter was actually the first thing I read on my own! jadeartemis16 RAVENCLAW PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!! Elves and fairies-I BELIEVE IN THEM ^^^^^^^^FIREBENDER^^^^^^^^ Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure "It is our choices, Harry, that show who we really are, much more than our abilities." -Albus Dumbledore

contributor

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:47 pm
Well, I was in the first grade, I had been watching the Harry Potter movies for a while, and I wanted something to read, so I started to read Harry Potter! I was like, 5, so it took me a while to read the rest. i mean, it took A LOT of rereading.

new

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:11 pm
My friend had read them (older than me) and since the whole series is so long, they didn't think I could do it (this was several years ago) so I HAD to prove them wrong. I did. It took six months...

new

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:44 am
kk so I actually at first hated Harry Potter (I know so sad!!!) so even when everyone was reading it i didn't want to so i read it but when i went to third grade we were having this Word War 1 which is actually a thing to see how many most words a class can read so ppl were counting on me because i loved to read at that time so pressurte was buliding up and i thought i had to read HP because ppl were telling i am missing out and there was a pressure, with HP I couldhacve got 1.2 million words in one shot so ir ead them however i regret i started at nine because don't get me wrong 1 <3<3<3<3 infinite HP but at that age i didn't understand the whole concept but when i read it again in fifth grade i understood the main concept which made me love it more so i think peeps should read HP when they are in fourth grade cause then u will understand alot of the context, thorughly

new

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:57 pm
Many of my friends had read it and loved them. My mom also read the first book out loud to me and my sister. I became interested and read the WHOLE SERIES and saw all the movies.

visitor

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:22 pm
We were having a book contest at school and the longer the book the more points.so I tryed hp

new

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:52 am
Well I had been a fan ever since I saw the first movie when I was five years old.Instanly I knew I was going to fall in love with Harry Potter.When I was seven I think I started reading the series and finished them when I was nine probably.Slow reading at first but I loved them.Ever since I absoultly adore my Harry Potter books and read them alot.I have a hard time finishing the Deathly Hallows everytime though beause I cry too much.

new

Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:08 am
My brothers would watch the movies a lot. And, I bet you'd guess I got interested, and just started reading them right? WRONG! I HATED Harry Potter when I was little. Then I saw a copy of SS at...I think it was Target when I was in second grade,"Eh...I'll try it." I then became interested, then later obsessed. I still remember how mad I was when I was on HBP right when the movie was going to come out. They were sold out EVERYWHERE! My dad eventually FINALLY found one, though. :D

contributor

Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:37 pm
@Risingartemis--- I hated it when I was little, too. :P ~Jared

contributor

Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:26 pm
My aunt is a HUGE fan of the books, and she lent the first one to my sister in the second grade. I didn't want to read it at first, but the summer between 2nd and 3rd grade, I decided to read it... and my obsession began... *looks off into the distance*

~DJ, who loves being dramatic... :lol:

'~.*.~'

Toddlers in Tiaras, the show that I love to hate

'~.*.~'

frequent_vsitor

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:53 pm
My mom read it aloud to my brother and me when we were young.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:17 am
My friend really loved them, so I was like, why not? And now I'm enchanted... I have read all 7, seen all 8, want to go really bad to the Wizarding World, and I want to be Luna Lovegood for Halloween. " Of course this is just in your head Harry, but why should that mean it isn't real?"- Albus Dumbledore, my second grandfather ( yes... he's awesome!)

new

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:08 pm
I was in 3 grade and I thought it would ' impress ' people. Now I am an absolute SUPERFAN!!!!!!

frequent_contributor

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:12 am
I got the first book for my birthday in first grade. I started to read it but was very confused! So I stopped. :p
After second grade started my mom asked me how I was liking the book, I told her I hadn't read it yet. She said they were really popular so I gave it a second chance. I've been hooked ever since!

:]
-kreacher
currently reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

contributor

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:48 pm
In the first grade, I saw my mom reading one of the books, so I aksed her if i could try reading them. She gave me the first book, and the rest is history!

new

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:08 am
My parents really liked it, so my dad started reading them aloud to my brother and I. To say it in short, I read ahead because I never could wait for the next night. :P

AquaCat586
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to our friends." -Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
:lol: I HAVE A RUBBER SOUL! :lol:

new

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:29 pm
i began to read harry potter because i had read almost every other book of both me and my sisters books and wanted to try and read somthing new.

regular_visitor

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:37 pm
I tried to read them in 3rd grade, but I started with the 2nd one (not too bad, but still) and in 5th grade I started/finished the first one in an hour, read the entire series within a month. Would have been quicker, but I had to wait for some of them, so I took a while.
~Brooke

new

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:16 pm
When I was 5-6 years old, me and my sister were watching OotP and I kept asking Questions (Why is Tonks' hair changing etc.) so she kept looking in the book to answer them. After a while I was like "Hey, sissy, why don't I try to read the books?" At first she was like "You do know that this is 800 pages long, right" but then I finally convinced her. Then she said, "Well, if you're going to read the books, you need to read them in order so that you don't get confused. I'll give you the first book tomorrow, okay". The next day she gave me the book and the rest is history.

new

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:30 pm
I actually didn't want to read them. My mom suggested I read it-and that is why she is my goddess-and I love them! I'm a total Potterhead! Let me know if you agree that Harry Potter is the best thing on earth and you own every single book and movie (i.e 'Tales of Beedle the Bard', 1-7, 'Quidditch Through the Ages', and 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them', as well as movies 1-8) because I sure do!

new

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:27 am
I started reading Harry Potter when I found out everyone else thought it was boring. They were absolutely wrong. As I've gotten older I realized that they thought it was boring because they couldn't understand it. Some people fear intelligence.

new

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:50 pm
well i have one of the books and i want to see the movies but i love it

frequent_vsitor

Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:36 pm
I found HP thanks to my great grandmother she new i loved to read and sent me the first two books after the first chapter i was hooked

regular_visitor

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:17 am
i as wondering around the house with nothing to do so i found a book to read it just so happened to be harry potter

new

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:17 pm
When I was seven my dad offered me a quarter if I read the first chapter of SS. I ended up reading the first five and my dad gave me the choice of the book or the quarter. I'm happy to say I took the book! I quit after the first one (shame on me) but last year I checked out the first one and reread it. I read the whole series within three weeks! I persuaded my mom, friends, brothers, and sister to read it. My little brother Noah hasn't read one book and he knows all the (main) characters just from hearing us talk about them! I am currently bugging my dad 24/7 to let me watch the seventh movie. Long live Harry Potter! DragonRider

new

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:06 pm
I WAS NOT A BIG FAN HARRY POTTER BEFORE I STARTED READING THEM. BUT MY FRIENDS MAD ME READ THEM AFTER THE FIRST BOOK I COULD NOT LAY DOWN ANY OF ALL THE 7!

visitor

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:03 am
K so in 3rd or4th grade my family was going somewhere and my mom gave me the first book to read in the car. (i<3books) The rest... well lets just say that i finished it on the way there. :D ;) :)

new

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:35 pm
Well, I was in second grade and i got up in the middle of the night and told my mom, "I'm gonna read Harry Potter!" so she handed me her copy and it's been magics ever since!

new

Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:15 am
Watched the moves since I was in diapers, didn't want to read the books. Parents forbid me from watching Goblet of Fire movie until I read the books, and I fell head over heels in love with them. :)

new

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:29 pm
You know how my obbsesion started? One of my cousins was reading them in august 2012. It was the day before school started and we wanted to spend our last days of fun. We were sitting on the barn roof talking. When my cousin brought up Harry Potter. I hated Harry Potter then. She brought up how Ron called Harry and yelled in the phone. She talked about Lockhart losing his mind. You name it. That is what inspired me. I got so obbsessed my mom calls me a Potter Head. When I finished reading them and watching them she stopped. We had a good laugh.

new

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:26 am
I remember it like it was yesterday. 3rd grade. I am a pretty advanced reader. All the books in my class room were so short. Then I saw Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I thought that would keep my interested and would take me the rest of the year to read. (It was October) So I read it. I never felt so alive! That day I made a bet with my friend who could finish it faster. I lost. (Cause my friend skipped chapters and I actually read it. I mean come on, who could Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince in TWO DAYS?????) And that's the day I started Harry Potter.

new

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:11 am
My brother made me. At first I thought it was going to be boring, but a few pages in, I was hooked.

new

Tue May 30, 2017 12:04 pm

I wanted to read Harry Potter, beacause literly everyone on my mom's side of the family (incuding herself) read Harry Potter. Plus she said that I couldn't watch the movies untill I read the books frown. So that made me want to read the books.smiley

new

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:42 pm

I went to universal Studios

new

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:10 pm

When i was young I thought HP was for nerds

The one day my cousin took me to a harry potter convention then

I read the book

[ 43 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team