General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome everyone! My name is Brian and I'm moderating the boards. Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
- Please read my FAQ’s post.
- If you still have a question, feel free to ask me here.

I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place to get excited about HP!
   [ 24 posts ] Average score:  
 why did you start reading harry potter?
new

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:00 pm
I started reading it because I was at our new public library and I saw it on the shelves. I hated Harry Potter because of the movies but I thought I would read it anyways. So me being me I grabbed The Chamber of Secrets. The whole time I'm like, what the heck!?!?!I imagined Hagrid as a skinny old man,I knew who ron was because of commercials and I am like, who is VOldemort?!?!But when I learned I'd grabbed that I quickly read the first and fell into a Harry Potter craze. Being like me my friend read the second book first also.Harry Potter is special to me because it is why I started liking reading. (Please tell me I am not the only one who read The Chamber of Secrets first)

Re: why did you start reading harry potter?
frequent_vsitor

Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:13 am
I read Sorcerer's Stone first (though there are some series (plural?) that I read backwards or in the wrong order). My friend owned the first five books but didn't like them (still doesn't) and hadn't bothered reading them so she lent them to me. I read the first five in a month, the fall after DH came out. I borrowed the 6th from another friend and the 7th from my brother's friend. Lucky me, I never had to wait any more than a few days for a book :) anyway, that's how I discovered the series. My mental picture of Hagrid as a skinny old man is brilliant so thanks for that :D ~aquabooks99

regular_contributor

Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:33 pm
I was in the second grade, I think. My mom bought the first one...I think because she thought I would like it OR because it was popular and thought it was intriguing. But then I just read them like crazy. I remember being on the sixth one my third grade year, I think. But it's been a huge phenomenon in my life and it has really shaped the way I look at fantasy.

~Lauren

Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:22 pm
Well before I read HP I liked reading, but never really had anything to read...so that was really kinda frustrating for me! Although I had seen parts of the first couple movies when I was really young I was probably about 8 when my brother and parents said I should really watch them. I watched the first six movies and loved them, although not so much to an obsessive extent (<3 big words). About a year (ok a little less than a year) later I decided to start the books. But I wasn't really like OBSESSIVE obsessive until about fourth grade. So yeah, I never really had to wait for the next book to come out cause by then my brother already had all the books and the first six movies...but I did have to wait for movies 7 and 8.... *Sigh...* I love being obsessive! :P
~Brilliantviolet5/Lilly :lol:
"We need never be hopeless because we can never be irreparably broken." -John Green, Looking or Alaska

new

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:04 pm
At first I didn't really know anything about Harry Potter. Whenever I go over to my friend's house they'd ask me if I want to watch the movie. I always said no.
But one day my other friend had the first book and I borrowed it from her to see why alot of people like Harry Potter. As soon as I read it I became obsessed with Harry Potter. I still am! :D

new

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:25 am
;) Psh, I read the Goblet of Fire first... :oops: Basically, I was watching the Chamber of Secrets on TV, and I was like "I should read this!" So, I go to the library, and the books were all out of order, (which is a HUGE pet peeve for me now... :P) and the Goblet of Fire was first! I picked it up, finished it in a week, and now POOF! Here I am, talking *cough* typing *cough* about an amazing series with some amazing people! :D
~Skyelark Moon :lol:

contributor

Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:37 pm
I heard my dad reading Sorcerer's Stone aloud to my little sister, and I found myself listening in... then I started reading CoS, up until OotP! (Those were all the books that we owned...) For a while I had stopped the series at book 5, and then I found book 6 and 7 at the library, and I checked them out and read them! (I bought my own copy of each to re-read millions of times later on...)

..❀Foreverelephant❀..

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

There is much you can learn from books and scrolls...

These books. are my friends, .my companions,

They make me laugh and cry and find meaning in life.”

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

~Jeod, Eragon, Christopher Paolini❀..

new

Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:45 pm
some of you guys read them in second grade?!?!?I only read them at the end of fourth grade!Though it was because I hated Harry Potter....: (

frequent_vsitor

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:00 pm
@skyelarkmoon It's definitely obnoxious, particularly because I'm the one who has to put the books back in order :P ~aquabooks99

regular_contributor

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:53 pm
Oh, this is a long story...

So I grew up being a little, quiet bookworm but I didn't read Harry Potter (and I certainly hadn't watched any of the films). Actually, I didn't even know what it was about, just that people read it like crazy, but most of my family members were like "this is rubbish! Magic and student wizards, pfff!" so I was a bit (much) biased and didn't want to read them at first.

Then my friend moved to town (the one I call Stonehenge) when I was at around 4th grade and we became BFF like, in seconds (lol jk). She was crazed with HP, and also other books I was reading at the time, such like Roald Dalh's and Narnia. So I mostly trusted her taste, but didn't start reading the books until I was in grade 6 when I borrowed them from the library.
Even THEN I did like them, or at least didn't admit I liked them, but was determined to read all the books without falling in love with them such like every other person I knew had. Though I did like them, and laughed, liked the characters, everything, I didn't get to love them (really, really love them) until I had finished the Deathly Hallows. I don't know, it's just that there was something in DH that really got me... I short of bonded with the trio.

Then I watched the Goblet of Fire (and loved it) then I went to the cinema to watch The Half-Blood Prince (and liked it- actually I think it was on the premiere night that I went to watch it :D) and then one moment I was like "OK, fine! I'm a Harry Potter fan!" and this was the end of me :)

Though I sort of miss those days when I was reading the books for the first time, and I didn't yet knew how it would turn out because now I do... :(

and here's a twisted face for the end of this narration: :twisted:

It's more fun to make your life your own invention.

Hippolyte

new

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:44 am
I read CoS first too, don't worry, you're not the only one. My mental images were so far off it isn't even funny. This happens a lot, because if they introduce a character and give a description afterwards, it doesn't matter what the description says, my mental image doesn't budge. (This all stopped after CoS, because I watched one of the movies directly after.) This is how Hagrid=James from Big-Time Rush, Draco= Fat & brown-haired, Hermione= Chinese & black-haired, Ron=Black kid with afro. I hated myself after I watched those movies. "How did I get so off!?!" I started reading them in 2nd grade, and finished them in 6 months. They didn't have the first book, so I read all the others. It was an epic fail of me, seeing as I had no idea what was happening in the second book, but I sorta got the hang of it in the third. (I actually never went back to read the Sorcerer's Stone until about a year after I finished the Deathly Hallows.) Hey, who wants to do some random faces! :shock: :geek: :lol: :!: :ugeek: :D

frequent_contributor

Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:59 pm
I started and finished the series in 3rd grade after my sisters gave me the books to read...

new

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:11 am
I have allways liked Reading and am in the highest Reading skills Group but there was no good books to read. At the end of my fourth grade school year my teacher handed out a bunch of books wrapped up and they didn't have names on them and we sat in a circle and she read a story. Every time she said and we had to pass the book to our right and at the end we got to open our books. I got a book that was way to easy and i traded it for Harry Potter b ecause my mom wanted me to read it but i didn't want to. I finished that book in a week and i liked it so much my parents got me the whole series. Now i am on book 5 and i only got out of 4th grade a mounth ago. I am so sucked into the books that my parents are getting me a wand a wizard robes yay!!!

new

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:12 pm
Well, my brother had read it when he was a little older than me, and I kept begging my Mom to allow me to read it. So, she and I slept on it, and when I woke up the next morning, there lay the books, clear as day, when I went downstairs. Pretty cool, huh?

new

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:22 pm
I actually read Chamber of Secrets first, too! But I already knew the story of the first one, so I'm not sure if it counts...It was the summer between kindergarten and first grade, and my dad borrowed the Philosopher's Stone to read to me and my sister, but he couldn't get through it, so we borrowed the audio book, and listened to that instead. :razz: But our library didn't have an audio book of CoS, so my dad said he'd try again. He got as far as chapter one. :razz: But I really wanted to find out what happened, so I just picked it up and started reading it on my own one day, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could! After that, I read PS again, and all the other books up to OotP during first grade, and the other two as soon as they came out. Harry Potter is special to me because they are the first books I remember really loving. (like, really loving) I mean, I loved to read before that, but it was after I read Harry Potter that I became a total bookworm. :mrgreen: So yeah...that's my tale of why I started reading Harry Potter. :lol:

~Songbird49

contributor

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:42 am
I was at my Grandparents and there were not too many books in the playroom that I was interested in or have not read yet. I asked my Grandpa for what book I should read and he gave me Harry Potter :) However his eyesight is poor and I read the first 5 books in large print :P

new

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:29 pm
I started reading Harry Potter when I was in my local library, and I saw a woman choosing some Harry Potter books for her son. She took Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone so I was evidently forced to read the second book first, which was really annoying! But luckily, I had seen clips of the movies (no spoilers, though) and knew what most characters looked like, except Draco.
I checked the library every day after school waiting for the woman to bring back the first book. It was agony waiting because I loved The Chamber of Secrets. Eventually the woman brought back the first in the amazing series. The Philosopher's Stone was so captivating and my favourite part was when Harry went to Ollivander's. I loved the idea of different combinations of wand cores and woods :D
Wow, I think I've been rambling on too much and going into too much detail :oops: I can't help it, though, HP is such a great series~ ^_^

~Amused Chicken 22

new

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:11 pm
I started reading harry potter because i really like owls and my ten year old cousin said the book harry potter had a lot of owls in it. then at my school i saw the first harry potter book and stated reading it. I LOVED IT SO MUCH ! (p.s snape is my favorite character and i am now on harry potter and the goblet of fire. i am also 8.)

new

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:50 pm
I started reading Harry Potter when I was in third grade. My friend's dad had read them to her as bedtime stories. I was always interested in the books, but never really attempted to read them. But she told me that they were great. So I checked the first one out at my school's library. It took me a very long time to finish, but I got it done and it payed off. After that, I got the rest of the books. Now it is my favorite series!

new

Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:33 am
I started reading Harry Potter because I had seen every movie from the sorcerers stone to the deathly hallows part 1 and my mom told me that J.K Rowling explains so much more in the books. [p.s I'm in 4th grade and almost on the 6th book]

new

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:35 am
becoz i had seen all the films and i wonted to read the books Aaron

new

Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm
I know this is going to sound mad, but I started reading them because of the Weasleys. Particularly Fred and George. I saw the commercials for the movies when I was younger, I didn't understand why anyone would want to have anything to do with Harry Potter. So basically, the Weasleys.

regular_visitor

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:19 pm
At first I didn't want to read Harry Potter because at the time the majority of the kids in my school were in this sort of Harry Potter craze and I thought the books and movies couldn't be as good as they said. Then in sixth grade I ran out of books to read while I was at my dad's house and I asked to borrow Sorcerer's Stone. I finished it on the car ride to wherever we were going and then I finished the rest of the series within a month.

new

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:00 pm
No reason really... I had never read them but I knew I would hate them but my Aunt forced me to read them. LOL

[ 24 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team