Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 8 posts ] Average score:  
 WOP:Post your title ideas,please!

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:19 am

Prologue

I was two. It was the week before my birthday on November second. That night, I was playing with my parents, and we were eating dessert. I was the Great Sugar-Maker, who could make things as fast as lightning, and Mommy and Daddy made things disappear just as fast. All of a sudden, we heard a great crash. Mommy grabbed me and took me up the stairs. Daddy said, “You two go! I’ll fight him!”

“Mommy, is Daddy gonna be ok?” 

“I don’t know, darling. That man is the most powerful person to ever walk this earth. Daddy and I have been hiding from him since you were born.” She took me up the stairs and into my room. She tapped on the wall and a ladder appeared. But we never got to climb it. A scary man appeared. “Mommy loves you. Daddy loves you. Be strong, my Tiger Lily.” Mommy called me Tiger Lily when I got mad.

“Give me the girl.”

“Don’t touch my Tiger Lily.”

“If that’s what you want,” The scary man said. He put his hands together and a red light appeared. It shot towards Mommy. She fell towards the ground. I ran around the room as fast as I could, and the scary man missed me and hit the mirror. The ball of light shot back at him and he crumbled into a bazillion pieces.

The next day, I was still hiding in my house in the countryside of New York. I saw it on a map once with Daddy. A man named Cole, my Daddy’s best friend, knocked on the door and said, “Luke, are you and London okay? What about Lily?” I decided to open the door. “Mr. Bennett, Daddy and Mommy aren’t here to talk to anymore.”

“I’m so sorry, Lily. I knew he was coming, so I came to warn you. I found out too late. But Tiger Lily, what happened to the scary man?” He’s the only one who called me Tiger Lily besides Mommy and Daddy. “Everyone says he’s dead.”

“That’s right Mr. Bennett. The ball of light hit the mirror and bounced to him and he crumbled into a bazillion pieces. I swept them up and used some as fertilizer and put some in a little box and burned the rest.”

“Good girl. Come with me, and you’ll be a birthday surprise for someone who’s got your same birthday. That way you’ll still have a present, because you can’t meet each other ‘til your birthday! You have to hide in the guest room.”

“Yes, I will, sir.”

“And call me Father or Cole.”

“Okay, Cole.”

“Now, let’s go.” He helped me pack all of Mommy and Daddy’s things ‘sides their clothes, so I could ‘member them, and most of my toys. I left the baby ones behind. He linked his arm into mine and we walked away from my home forever, ‘except when I came back to remember them and their sacrifice.

*******************************************************************************************

We finally got there. We entered very quickly and quietly so no one figured out. Cole also knew how to make balls like the man, but he said that the people working against the scary man swore never to kill unless absolutely necessary. He made a ball that locked my door and told me that there was a fridge with enough food for a year and things like clothes for all ages. “Lily, try to make a ball that will make light.” So I did. “Lily, promise me that you will never go to the dark side and try to harm someone intentionally. Sometimes magic works in a strange way and works by itself.”

“Yes, Father.” He exited the room, leaving me alone. And for the first time in over a day, I cried. I still don’t know if they were happy or sad tears.

The week passed slowly. Every single day I looked at a picture of Mommy and Daddy. I knew I would never see them again, but to this day before Cole and Olivia take Sean somewhere so we can talk by ourselves, on the ninth year after they left this earth, I can’t help hoping they’ll be there one day. Every day I taught myself to read. Eventually, on the third day, I was reading stories most people read in the tenth grade: A Study in Scarlet; the Giver; the Fault in Our Stars; a Tale of Two Cities, anything to numb the pain in my heart. Finally, the birthday arrived. At exactly twelve in the morning, Cole told me to close my eyes and led me out. He sat me down, and told me and a boy to open our eyes. We did, and they said, “Lily, this is Isaac. Isaac, this is Lily.”

“Hi, Isaac.”

“Hi, Lily.” We greeted each other and didn’t go to sleep afterwards. We stayed up, talking about things we used to do with our parents. “Hey, Lily. Wait ‘til you meet my brother, Sean. He’s a baby. He’s a riot.”

“Isaac? Call me Tiger Lily.”

“Call me Isaac.”

After that, everything looked up. I make friends, I make enemies. But through it all, Isaac is always there. Sean when he was old enough to understand. But while Sean is my foster brother, Isaac is my other half. We talk about everything. My parents, who are a subject that will make me cry if I talk about it with Cole or Olivia or Sean. Even Scarlett, my best friend, knows that Isaac is the only one who I could talk about it with.

My worst enemy, Paisley, asks me about them every chance she gets. “Hey, Lil? How are your parents? I forgot-you ain’t got any parents!” or, “Tiger Lily, a little bird told me that a magic bozo blasted your mother and she died. How’d that happen? Was she dumb, or were YOU just half-blind, and your vision got better?” It’s true, I wear glasses. But when she makes cracks about mom, I shrug it off. But once, when I was ten, she did something I will never forgive: she made a crack about Daddy.

“Oi! You! Why did your dad decide to die first? Musta been the dumbest man alive! Why were you and your mother so important? She was weird, and you were blind!” That was the worst thing she ever said, and I tried and tried, but I couldn’t shrug it off. I had to cry. I wouldn’t stop unless it was to take a breath, so Cole had to pick me and Isaac up. Isaac wasn’t crying, but he wouldn’t leave me alone to cry by myself.

When we got home, we fled to our special tree, a willow in the backyard where no one can see you because the leaves make a curtain. I cried until my tears ran out, and even then there was a lump in my throat. Isaac asked me what was wrong, and I told him. You wonder why he didn’t know. He was on the other side of the playground with his best friend at school, Dylan.  He glanced at me for a second and literally dropped the ball. “Tiger Lily, what happened?”

“You didn’t hear what she said about Daddy.”

“That’s why you need to tell me. I can tell if you want.”

“She said Daddy was the dumbest man alive because he died to save me and mommy

“You know Paisley’s an idiot, why do you talk to her?”

“I don’t know. She follows me like a leech feeding off my happiness.”

““That’s because she has none of her own.”

“I know, but still.”

“Kids, time to come in for lunch,” Olivia called. BTW, Olivia is my foster mother. She does okay for a foster mom. I mean, she never talks to me about Mommy and Daddy. We had lunch and stuff, and Isaac and I read until Sean came, then we played soccer as normal, and life has been pretty quiet until now. So I guess I’ll start writing about this evening. By the way, Isaac and Scarlett will also be writing with me.

One: Let’s take a walk and Find Cool powers.

Finally!

We’ve been waiting for this Day all year! I’m Isaac, BTW.

I’m Scarlett.

Tomorrow we can take our annual walk in the woods!

I can’t WAIT!

I know! Well, Cole comes in and says, “Tiger Lily, I know it hurts to talk with anyone but Isaac, but I need to know: It’s been nine years since you came here. Does it still hurt? I miss your father every day.” I remain silent. I’m not stubborn, I just can’t find the words to say it. So I sing;

“When I met you in the morning,

It was gonna last forever.

I know that I can’t

See you anymore.

I know that I can’t,

But it hurts my heart and my soul.

I don’t have those words

To speak of the pain

That chokes me.

Just know that I’m always trying

To find a way out.

But how do I find you?

Please tell me,

Please tell me,

How do I find you?

I would go to the ocean

Swim across it, even.

But I need to know.

I need to know.

I need to know right now.

Mommy please, mommy please, mommy please come tell me how.

How do I find you?

How will I find you?

Please don’t just stand there,

Like a toy pulled at the last moment

When I think I have you

You’re pulled away.

No one knows of the pain that chokes me

No one knows how it’s a scar you can’t see

But I know,

That you’ll be waitin’ for me.

I know that it hurts to see my heart is broken

But if you’re not there, my feelings will be a token

I know you’re still waiting,

But how do I find you?

Please tell me,

Please tell me,

How do I find you?

I would go to the ocean

Swim across it, even.

But I need to know.

I need to know.

I need to know right now.

Mommy please, mommy please, mommy please come tell me how.

How do I find you?

How will I find you?” I finish.

“I know,” Cole starts. But he doesn’t finish. We fall onto my bed and we cry a million tears.

In case you wanted to know, Dad does look like the Cole from Ninjago. And I look like Frank Hardy.

Believe it or not, Sean looks like Joe Hardy

We have a matched set!

Ayda looks like Jo March in the beginning of the book when Jo opens her hair..

Scarlett looks like Amy.

The next day, Scarlett comes over. “You kids behave yourselves on your walk. And take some soup and sandwiches. Actually, forget the soup, take hot chocolate.”

“’Kay, mom,” Lily responds. We finally get to leave, and we go right to the special willow. We sit and decide to go in the woods right behind the willow. We start walking.

And talking.

And Laughing.

After we’ve walked for a few hours perfectly straight and marked the direction we walked with arrows at every tree, I decide to unpack the picnic that’s still hot because we haven’t opened the basket. Lily and Isaac decide to take a walk and mark the trees as they go.

Isaac holds my hand. For some stupid reason, people think he’s my boyfriend, but he isn’t. it’s as much a part of our lives as the willow. He says, “Ayda, look.”  He puts his hands close together in a kind of ball shape, and says, “Water.” A turquoise ball appears, and I think, dig, and put my hands in that- you know, I’m just gonna say, ‘I thought of____, and so and so appeared, instead of exactly that, or exactly that’- any ways, I did the hands and I thought of digging. An aero blue ball appeared, and I pointed it at the ground. It made a hole. Isaac pointed the water to the hole, and water literally flew out of his hands and into the hole, filling it perfectly. We run to tell Scarlett the news. Good news-Scarlett can do it too! Bad news- I now have to write every single color by its proper name so it’s not too confusing when I look back on it in twenty years. I suddenly hear heavy footsteps. 

"Run!"

Re: WOP:Post your title ideas,please!
new

Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:51 am

WRITE SOME MORE! THAT WAS ONE OF THE MOST AWESOME BEGINNINGS OF A STORY EVER!!!!!

-Dragoncrown485

Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:11 pm

Suddenly, A man grabs me from behind. He curses at me. Then, something hits my head and all i see is stars

new

Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:44 am

GASP :O THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!

You could call it "Tiger Lily."

BUT SERIOUSLY THOUGH, YOU DO A GREAT JOB ON THIS!

-Dragoncrown485

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:28 pm

Aww, thank you!

smileylaugh

Mainstreetgirl35

Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:47 am

Thaanks dragoncrpwn485 for the title! I'll figure out how to friend you. And someday, I'll put you in dedication. Along with some virtual Minecraft  friends

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:27 am

3:Isaac

I wake up,breathing heavily,beads of sweat dotting my face. "Tiger Lily!" I yell.I see her in a hospital bed next to me. But-we're on a plane? What is going on?
Lily has a scratch on her face and a scar on her arm. But i really have no idea what is gonna happen next

new

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:11 pm

I have only one word to describe my feelings about this story... WHOA!!!!!! As for the title, I would have to say, Lily's Light. 

[ 8 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team