General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 5 posts ] Average score:  
 Write It Debates: Position Descriptions
regular_contributor

Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:18 pm

If you do not understand the position you were assigned to, here ya go:   If you’ve been assigned to… Opening Statement:  Your job is to begin the debate with a short “essay” detailing why your side is better than the other.  Why is realistic fiction better than fantasy (or vice versa)?  Opening statements should be no longer than 500 words.   Ask a Question: Your job is, obviously, to ask the other side a question.  These questions must tie-in to the debate somehow and should (not necessary, but smart) somehow, in the end, benefit your side of the argument. There is no set limit to how long questions can be, but please keep them under five sentences.   Answer a Question: Your job is to answer the other side’s question or the judges panel’s question.  You must answer honestly.  Your answer should somehow serve to benefit your team, if possible; bear in mind, though, that you must answer honestly, even if it does not benefit your team. Answers should be no longer than 200 words.   Rebuttal: Your job is to respond to the other team’s answer.  Use their answer to better your team’s position.  It might go something like this: Team One: “Why are dogs better than cats?” Team Two: “Dogs are better than cats because dogs enjoy playing Frisbee.” Team One Rebuttal: “Though dogs enjoy playing Frisbee and cats do not, cats enjoy playing with other toys.  Also, cats enjoy playing with toy mice and dogs do not. Rebuttals should be no longer than 200 words.   Closing Statements: Your job is to sum-up your side of the debate.  To do this, I would advise you to keep track of all debate points on a piece of paper.  Then, using at least one of these points, you should state why you are right.  You will have a much stronger Closing Statement, however, if you use most, if not all, of the debate points.  Closing Statements should be no longer than 500 words.   ~Tatiana~ Ready? Set? DEBATE! I am a proud member of Write It Debates Judge’s Panel, Co-Moderator, and Co-"Inventor"

Re: Write It Debates: Position Descriptions
frequent_contributor

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:02 pm
Coolio. Since I couldn't think of a better question, I kind of copied you example, but replaced it with Fantasy and Realistic Fiction.

new

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:36 pm

I would like to join the club.

new

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:17 pm
:)

new

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:33 pm
its a good idea