General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 14 posts ] Average score:  
 WRITER'S BLOCK!

Sun May 06, 2012 2:55 am
Hey guys! (: I bet everyone here has had my problem... writer's block! *grumbles* Have any of you guys ever tried to write a story and then you found that you got stuck?!? This has happened to me a million times, and I have a million saved files on my computer to prove it. I desperately need writing advice! I feel like I'm in my comfort zone way too often, and I guess writing is more about taking risks and NOT being in your comfort zone that often. I have a million story ideas, I can't decide on any idea, and I keep getting writer's block. Any tips on good writing, writer's block, and other things? If so, thanks! :D ~ Kendall

Re: WRITER'S BLOCK!
contributor

Wed May 09, 2012 12:26 am
It passes after a while... A LONG, LONG, LOOONG while... Just try to pull through, and one day, you'll sit at the keyboard, and discover that you can type stories again! ~Jared

regular_contributor

Wed May 09, 2012 3:12 am
(Just in case the paragraph formatting isn't back yet, I'm breaking up paragraphs with asterisks. *** ) Oh goodness, Writer's Block. *shudder* *** Well, first of all, pretty much every writer will have Writer's Block at some point. So you're doing absolutely nothing wrong. It happens to the best of us. *** Well, first off, when you have Writer's Block, try as hard as you possibly can not to create a new story. It is so tempting, I know, but it will not serve you well in the end. You'll get stuck there, too, and you'll end up even more frustrated. *** So. Don't start a new story. Stick with whatever one is giving you trouble. But at the same time, take a quick break. Take a walk, listen to some music, take a shower, whatever. Showering helps me think; I don't know why, but it does. Just look around and think about whatever comes into your head. You'll find an idea somewhere. *** Then run with that, wherever it takes you. Sometimes Writer's Block is just a manifestation of resistance. You've got this really awesome idea, but it would take the book in a totally different direction. But you know what? Go with it. Let it take you wherever it may. *** Other than that, you just have to watch and wait. Ideas will come. They always do. :) *** Best of luck! *** ~Tatiana~

Fri May 11, 2012 11:55 pm
Thanks guys! I think I have a good idea for a story now! (Maybe I'll post it on the Message Boards when the formatting is fixed?) :) ~Kendall

Sun May 13, 2012 1:29 pm
Thank you guys! I think I have an idea now for a story! I think I'll post it on here sometime!

rookie_visitor

Mon May 28, 2012 10:53 pm
I hate writers block I have it right now I have been planing to put my story here but Im already almost done and I didn't know what to put next or how to end it I don't know what to put next dang the universe From Tachi

Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:39 pm
you should write about writer's block!

frequent_contributor

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:55 pm
Listen to the others, especially Tatiana -- that's some valuable advice, right there. Especially the part about showers. Showering helps OODLES with writer's block! Other than what's already been said, the only advice I can give is this: If you're blocked on one thing, take a different route and move around it. I've written four complete novels, at this point, and that's the only way I get through them. If I'm bored with a scene, or feeling a lack of inspiration, I just change it up; raise the stakes, add some drama. I do something new and unexpected with it. It makes writing so much more entertaining when you deviate from the plan, and I haven't had to deal with a bad case of noveling writer's block in YEARS because of it. Good luck, and I hope you get over your block soon! ~Cavy "When the day goes dark, and the night goes light, that is when I will be there."

new

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:58 pm
I HATE WRITER'S BLOCK! I have a bunch of unfinished stories! I start one with a great idea but after ahwile i get stuck or i feel like this story is dead. :(

regular_contributor

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:03 am
Oh yes, the notorious writer's block. Well it looks for the most part everyone covered it but I thought I'd go ahead and add my bit of advice anyway. I've been told showering is the answer by this lot loads of times :) but for me personally, it's never been quite a soothing activity because I'm somewhat a water conservation nut and try to beat my last shower times...Anyway, what I find helps is looking for inspiration elsewhere. Usually, for me, that means going outside, walking around and looking at things and usually, some new idea pops into my head or, sometimes, I skip to another section of the book, usually something I won't end up keeping, but it can help make the characters feel fresher, making the part you are stuck on seem a bit easier. Another thing that helps is making a list of why you started writing what you are writing in the first place -- it gives motivation. Best of luck! - Allie

new

Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:51 pm

a few weeks ago I got a new journal and wrote pretty much anything I thought of, and then later the next day, during the superbowl, I got inspired to write this book called Long Live Girls. it's not done yet, though.smiley

new

Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:17 am

I'm currently writing around six stories, all very different. I have a story idea you can use: a boy wishes he was a girl, and his wish is granted. But being a girl isn't as easy as he thought.

new

Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:56 am

So...I have no advice for writer's block that hasn't already been mentioned, but I have a way to prevent you from getting writer's block. In a scene, you take an emotion: surprise, sadness, fear, and you put that scene and that emotion into an anime scene in your head. I did this with a surprised scene and this is what I got:

Liam finally walked out of the way, revealing myself to my parents and my younger sister. My mom's eyes seemed to balloon up to twice their size, my younger sister looked like a gaping goldfish, and my father's mouth disengaged with surprise and he started babbling like a cretin.

So yeah.

I hope this helps you!

-Dragoncrown485

new

Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:31 pm

Writers block has been a big obstacle in my personal writing. I have found that it is best to use these 3 techniques:

1. Read other books and draw inspiration from them 

2. Brainstorm

3. Ask people who know about writers block and can help you get past yours

I hope that these 3 techniques are helpful to your writing! 

[ 14 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team