General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 6 posts ] Average score:  
 writing is now a part of me
visitor

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:11 pm
I've just found my talent of writing but its all sad. I want to be able to write about anything. Suggestions welcomed.

RE: writing is now a part of me (from Diona, Author Panel)

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:11 pm
Hi,

First of all, don't be discouraged if it seems that you're only writing sad material. We're best at writing what impacts us emotionally, and maybe you're just more affected by unhappy things than happy ones. This might be a temporary phase, or it might be your temperament as an artist (all art is story, so all writers are artists). In any case, "sad" writing is often much more difficult than "happier" forms such as fiction and reminiscent memoirs, and if you can develop your skills in that direction you can come up with some very powerful work.

If you want to expand your gifts, though, you could start by keeping a journal (if you already keep one, start a new one which will have shorter entries and is dedicated only to the purpose of finding your inspiration). Make a note in it every time something in your life affects you on an emotional level. Highlight the things that make you smile or laugh, and try writing about those. Or, if this would be easier for you, think back and find a memory from your past that just makes you want to grin every time your subconscious brings it up. Write about that. One happy memory often leads to another, and before long you could have an entire portfolio of other-than-sad writing topics to start new works from.

I hope this helps, and that we get to read some (more?) of your work soon!

Diona

Re: writing is now a part of me
regular_contributor

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:47 am
Hi this is Cami. I am writing a book and how I got to write the book is from my Imagination and inspirnation. So look for things around you to write about and let your imangination flow.

regular_visitor

Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:53 pm
I agree with Camille-Cami I mean. It was pretty good. ~fairylights~

frequent_vsitor

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:26 am
Sadness can be heavily inspiring and uplifting when another person needs a..... boost....and this is what Kahlil Gibran said "the deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain."

Just remember that. :smileywink:

Write with your heart,
Brandy

[ 6 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team