General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 4 posts ] Average score:  
 Writing Prompt #4
regular_contributor

Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:38 pm
First of all -- a quick thanks to all of you who have been taking the time to participate in all of these writing prompts. I basically DIED reading Teresa and Hannah's stories on the humor board. And a quick hint for where oh where the fifth writing prompt is to be located.

*clears throat*

O where o where
Not here, not there
A board where not one
Prompt has yet been done
O where o where
Not here, not there
You rant and you rage
Just look on the stage!
O where o where
Not here, not there
But where writing meets this
Where actors and authors coexist

Sorry -- I felt like being poetic. :P Figure it out! In the mean time: Writing Prompt #4 folks!

Writing Prompt #4

Write a short story that includes all of the Write-it related phrases listed below, without mentioning Write-it:

- banana poisoning
- Prince Sam
- semicolons
- smiley abuse
- BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA
- hamster

Have fun my dearies!

Also -- a formatting suggestion: You might consider bolding, italicizing, capitalizing, or changing the words listed above to a different color in your story so that when you look over it, you can check easily to see that you got all of the phrases!

Get'a'writin!

- Allie

Re: Writing Prompt #4
N/A

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:36 pm
     The shape, that crescent shape that stared into the very eye of his soul, the yellow that burned his eyes and drove him to insanity...
   THE BANANA....
   He shakes his head and puts it back onto the store shelf. Bananas were TERRIBLY squishy and disgusting, as well as a leading cause for banana poisoning. He couldn't bear to introduce his little sister to those DEVILS.
  He turns to the book shelf  and finds a book called (insert title here). It was about a boy called Prince Sam who died in a war and then turned EVIL. Astrid, his lover, was heart broken. He bought it and brought it back to his house with his littler sister called Clarissa. She read it and cried, "HOW MANY SEMI COLONS ARE IN THIS THING?!?!". And as he examined the novel, he realized HOW MANY SEMICOLONS THERE WERE IN THIS NOVEL. AND IT DROVE HIM INSANE.
   So he went on his favorite website and continued to post messages with excessive smiley faces, and everyone yelled at him because he abused his smiley faces so much that smiey faces were NEVER AGAIN SEEN IN THIS WORLD.
   So then because there was absolutely no plot to this entire story, Larry the Man Eating hamster turned up shouting BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA!!! And then ate the narrator.
   The end. (insert smiley face which should be here but due to the evils of the narrator there are no more smiley faces in the world so we're all going to have to suffer all alone in little cardboard boxes with unemotional faces)
                Everyone deserves to cry.
"80% of girls at least age 12 have a boyfriend. If you are part of the
20% that doesn't have a boyfriend at least age 12, copy and paste this
to your sign-off."
               "Oh, I don't wanna grow up, wish I'd never grown up, I could still be little..."
                     ~Taylor Swift, "Never Grow Up"
                GO POTTERMORE!!! YAAAAAAAAAY!!!!
               -Teresa

regular_contributor

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:39 am
I apologise for the lack of formatting but I think Bronwen's on a moderating warpath (haha) and I need to get this up before she gets over to this board, lol...

--

I have a roommate. Her name is Eliza Nightingale. Sometimes I think she’s brilliant. Mostly I think she’s mad.
Case in point: last week she was practicing her viola. Loudly. Violently. At the same time, she was glaring at herself in the mirror above the fireplace, eyebrows furrowed.
“What are you doing?” I asked, walking out of my bedroom and through the sitting room on the way to the kitchen.
“Thinking,” she responded curtly. She turned sharply from the fireplace and watched me walk to the kitchen. Still playing, she asked, “Have you seen the papers?”
I scanned the countertops, looking for the banana I had set out for myself a few minutes ago. “No, I haven’t seen the papers – why?”
“Apparently, Queen Victoria’s son was attacked,” she said, finally lowering her viola so she could talk. “Some passing bystander threw himself at him, and…”
“Oh no!” I cried, still looking for the banana. “Is he alright?”
“Yes, he’s fine,” she said. “But he’s in the hospital, I think, just in case.” She glanced out the window. “Poor Prince Sam.”
I raised an eyebrow. “You know his name is Edward, right?”
“Edward. Of course. Poor Prince Edward.” She picked up her viola and began to play it again.
Five minutes later I knew something was off. “Eliza, did you eat the banana I set out?”
“What?”
“Did you eat my banana?” I put my hands on my hips and glared at her.
“No, I threw it out,” she said matter-of-factly.
“What?” I cried. “Why on earth would you throw away a perfectly good banana?”
“Bananas have potassium in them. If you ingest too much potassium, you can poison yourself.” She continued her etude, a satisfied look on her face.
I closed my eyes and exhaled, trying not to hit her. “That… is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.”
She grinned. “Smile and bear the abuse.”
“Why should I?” I went and fetched an apple, seeing as my banana was either in the bin or below the window in the garden.
“It helps me think, and you know my thinking is important.” She dropped her viola and set it in its case. “Very important.”
I smiled. “Helpful?”
“Very, thank you.”
I took a bite of my apple. “I checked your paper for school. You used too many semicolons.”
She shook her head. “Unlikely. Using too many semicolons is practically impossible.”
“Says the girl who’s failing English.” I threw my apple core at her.
She ducked it and lowered herself into the wingback armchair. “School doesn’t matter. Real life matters.” She bit her lip. “And real life requires a hamster.”
“Eliza, you’re mad.”
“No, really, it’s important!”
“We’re not getting a hamster. End of story.”
She huffed and picked up her viola again. “Fine.”

--

I couldn't fit boom shaka laka in - it didn't fit with the time period. ;)

-Scylla-
Non vereor ne illam me amare hic poteurit resciscere; quippe haud etiam uicquam inepte feci.

frequent_contributor

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:31 pm
One day, Prince Sam (pre-evil days - pre-Astrid, in fact) woke up and decided to break his typical Prince Naiad-y routine. He decided he was going to give the entire naiad population BANANA POISONING!!!!!! using his magical magic skills. Before long, naiads were jumping around, wondering why they felt an excess of potassium in their water supply. Then, they began to shake, and to cry "BOOM SHAKA LAKA!!!!" at the world. Prince Sam rolled around on the ground laughing his head off. He had protected himself with a shield of abused semicolons and smileys in order to skive off the banana poisoning, and today, he was in such an odd mood, he found this prank to be the most amusing thing he had ever seen! Even his mother the Queen was bouncing around crying "BOOM SHAKA LAKA!!!" with no way to stop the Prince.
Finally, with tears in his eyes and aching abs, Prince Sam returned things to normal, setting a hamster into the naiad world to consume the banana poison he was so used to.

THE END!!!

THE TRUTH.
It is a terrible and
beautiful thing, and must therefore be treated with great caution.
                                           -- JK Rowling

Kira

[ 4 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team